Which multi-fuel stove?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
K

KenC

Basically it looks like the MSR Dragonfly or Primus Omnifuel - any (other) recommendations?

Ken.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I have an omnifuel and really like it. I don't have one, but from what I've heard, the Nova is worth a look. Perhaps Rik_uk3 or Mojo will be along to offer their advice

Philbert

Tenderfoot
Jun 11, 2004
Northern Ireland
I have a wisperlite international MSR stove and wouldnt swap it for the world. I have also seen the dragonfly in operation and its the dogs wotsits. Very rugged and reliable.

GearGuru

Forager
Jun 7, 2006
Market Deeping
I have an omnifuel and its a corker - acts like a stand in jet engine and gets things boiling in no time. Burns anything u can get ur hands on. Quite loud - check out ebay as I got 25 quid off brand new inc postage.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The Primus Omnifuel lets you burn liquid fuel and gas canister fuel, but, the Nova (which only burns liquid fuel) folds up smaller, and to me at least, seems to have a stronger build quality for around the same weight. I have an Omnifuel, but for whatever reason, the Nova steals it for me, plus, for a tenner, you can buy a kit and run the Nova burner in a pucker Trangia stove (25 or 27 model,(or the cheap Lidl stove sold recently). Really between the Nova and the Omnifuel, it would be down to the flip of a coin, unless you are like me, and have the sad hobby of collecting stoves, so choice in not an issue. Both stoves burn hot but would let you simmer a stew for a few hours not a problem

The MSR is a good stove, but reports from regular users/collectors tend to point to the fact that it needs more maintenance than the Swedish stoves and the pump is not the best quality

If I were you, I would go the Omnifuel or Nova route and forget the MSR, but this is just my opinion.

PS
You can pick up a new Nova from the states for about £65 including postage, if you’re lucky you won’t be hit for tax this end, but if you are, it’s probably still cheaper than UK suppliers prices

This guy sells the Brunton Nova all the time
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Brunton-O...ryZ16036QQssPageNameZWD2VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Brunton is the American distributor for Optimus, so you get a proper Optimus Nova, just the box is marked Brunton Optimus, the stove is the real deal

d.s.k.

Sep 17, 2006
Norway
I have a Nova, and I love it no trouble during ~5 yrs, after I started to use it as described in the manual. The quick coupling is a bit tricky.

( :( a lot of others claims much trouble with the Nova :confused: )

Mine works well on white gas, paraffin, white spirit etc. Easy to preheat, no need for separat preheat fuel. Sounds like a jet engine. Wind protection solved either by Trangiea or this one: http://home.no/dsk/vindskjerm_en.PDF

By the way, the stove actually burns butane(mix) too, you only have to make an adaptor.

dsk

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Hi DSK, how are you these days? I use a little silicon gel on the quick coupler on the Nova, and its very important on the Primus Varifuel, or the Nitrile seal soon breaks down.

I don't use white spirit in the UK because of the additives. I've looked at adaptors for the Nova to burn LPG, but the Omnifuel will do that anyway and I don't like the poor performance of liquid gas in cold. What windshield do you use on the Nova?

Regards from South Wales

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I concur. Go for an Optimus, they're of a much better quality than MSR stoves. I'm not going to go into details because it's not quite 7am yet and my brain isn't functioning properly. Wait, why am I posting this? Where's my coffee? :)

Adam

Mat

Forager
Nov 20, 2003
Hampshire
I've got a Dragon Fly and whilst it does the job very well and has never let me down I probably wouldn't buy it again. It's NOISY and the plastic pump always feels like it's going to break.

A mate has a Primus (not sure which model) which boils quicker than the Dragon Fly but can only be turned off by turning the bottle over. A nice idea in theory but it always seems dodgy to me - your hands are just a little bit too close to the red hot cooker!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Turning over the bottle burns the fuel left in the line, and lets the pressure out of the fuel bottle, you soon get the hang of it, and you get no fuel spills :cool:

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Yes but the Optimus has the fuel adjustment valve directly at the burner, so the stove is much easier to simmer with. The biggest problem with MSR stoves is that on their setup, the valve is attached to the bottle, and so it makes simmering a meal a bit difficult. That's one of the reason I switched to a Trangia setup. I also don't like the plastic MSR pump, Optimus (Primus) pumps are steel and quite a bit more durable.

Adam

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
I've got an MSR Whisperlite 600 International, I've had it for 10 years now. Apart from a replacement pump (I broke it through neglect rather than it failing naturally :aargh4: ).

It is quieter that the Dragonfly, I think it simmers better. Its is safe, simple and field maintainable. It burns Avgas, unleaded, parafin and white gasoline, it burns clean and hot.

In short it is fab, it has been up more mountains than I care to remember. I would buy another one if I lost it.

I have no experience of any of the others mentioned, the MSR is a solid quality bit of kit.

Just my 2p worth.

Stewey. :D

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
rik_uk3 said:
Really between the Nova and the Omnifuel, it would be down to the flip of a coin, unless you are like me, and have the sad hobby of collecting stoves, so choice in not an issue.

rik, you made my night, i haven't laughed so much in ages!!!

Montivagus

Nomad
Sep 7, 2006
gone
I'll put a vote up for the dragonfly. I love mine and have never had a problem with it ( It has given faultless service from high in the Alps to low in a Newfoundland bog!) and its big enough to cook decent meals on! mmmm! :p :D

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
How about an Optimus 199, burns parafinn, petrol/Coleman fuel or meths, 10,000 BTU output :cool:
DSCF1052Small.jpg

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
I would definatly recommend the Nova, its a cracking stove! It burns anything, diesel included. I dont even bother to empty it before changing fuel, just top it up with whatever.

In fairness, I have never tried an MSR, but they are reportedly poor at simmering, and the plastic pump is fragile, the nova is bombproof. ;)

I got mine from the US for about £65, a bargain! :D

P1030489.jpg

K

KenC

Thanks for all the excellent advice. A Nova with a trangia attachement sounds like the mutts.... but sounds like I can't go too far wrong with any of them.

Ken.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Ken, listen to the wind, you can hear "Trangia, Nova" calling to you, in the words of Del Boy "come on my son, you know it makes sense" :)

The Trangia clones Argos sell for £24.99 work just as well as the original, and are a bit lighter, but you are right, they are all good stoves, but the Primus Omnifuel and the Nova are the best at simmer control

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE