Which MSR stove?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

twr198

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2007
England
Right bit of a long winded one here. I need a new stove and i really like the MSR range but i am i bit overwhelmed by the choices i face S: So what do you think i should get?
Windpro £50
Whisperlite £55
Whisperlite internationale £60
Simmerlite £90
XGK EX £110
Dragonfly £90

It will mainly be used for single weeks in snowdonia all year round and maybe the lakes and up to Ben Nevis

What do you think?

Weesi

Forager
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland
I've owned the whisperlite and it's good for what it is meant for. Melting snow that is... NO simmer option on this one.
I now have the Dragonfly which is better at simmering or turning right down so it's just lit and no more. My only objection is it'll deafen you on full burn!.. It's LOUD!!..
Great range from MSR though. I've got their water filters and dromedary bags too....

Simon

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
A vote for the Whisperlite Internationale here, bought it about eight years ago and never had any probs. It is full on or nothing though.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Right bit of a long winded one here. I need a new stove and i really like the MSR range but i am i bit overwhelmed by the choices i face S: So what do you think i should get?
Windpro £50
Whisperlite £55
Whisperlite internationale £60
Simmerlite £90
XGK EX £110
Dragonfly £90

It will mainly be used for single weeks in snowdonia all year round and maybe the lakes and up to Ben Nevis

What do you think?

For the usage you discribe the Windpro which is a remote gas canister stove would suit your needs well. Being gas it will be relatively fuss free compared to the liquid fuel stoves MSR offer. It's got a preheater tube so it will work more effectively when the temp drops which can affect some types of canister stove. It's got a nice large burner head so heat distribution on your pot will be good being a ported burner means it is quiet to live with..

I'd avoid the Whisperlite internationale as it has a habit of clogging the generator tube when used with kerosene. So if you're thinking of a whisperlite then I'd just get the regular version. They do not simmer however...

Simmerlite is a liquid fuel version of the Windpro..

XGK EX is a full on high altitude snow melting machine very noisy...

Dragon Fly looks cool and simmers ok but is noisy in use...

Hope this helps...

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I have had an MSR stove since the Larry Penberthy model 9. Larry was the founder of MSR before REI bought the company.
I have upgraded that stove a few times over the years and have an XGK now. I also own a first generation Whisperlite and a Dragonfly. I bought the original for melting snow, mountaineering and winter camping. It was great for that and boiling water. There was no real cooking with the Model 9 or XGK. The Whisperlite is the same really, just less powerful, hard to cook with. The Dragonfly works well for cooking because of the flame adustment. It is very noisy, as noted and it is a chore to light up, lots of steps to the process.

So, my choice is NONE. I would go with an Optimus Nova, not the Nova plus. The Nova is easy to operate, adjustable flame controls and light and easy to carry. It is the only stove I use now. Hope that helps. Cheers!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE