Which mini axe or hatchet ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
Biker: many thanks for your kind offer :35:

However, I've just had a call from one of my mates asking if I was missing a 'small axe' because one had been left in his car by one of the numptys he had brought along, so I'm one down instead of two, which is great news.

One or two other options have surfaced today as well which I am currently considering, and in temper I rearranged my schedule for next week to free up the time I don't have ;) to forge myself a new axe (or two).

So many, many thanks again for such a kind offer, but it looks like I am well on the road to an excess of axes, if there even is such a thing :)

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
So is noone interested in the 'Hults bruk' axe range? Are they a bit sh**?

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Biker: many thanks for your kind offer :35:)

You're most welcome, Glad there was a happy ending to this saga.

Know what you mean about "is there ever such things as too many axes?" Same with knives, old tools, water canteens, sleeping bags, daysacks, rucksacks etc etc etc. I suppose when your house is chock full and you're outside living in a tent then you've reached saturation point... then again there's always the space left in the garage. Heheheheheee

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I'm pretty happy with my Trail Hawk

Wayland_Hawk.jpg

Cheap, light but very effective.

Thats just the sort of thing i'd do to one - did you do the work yourself wayland - what kit did you use?

cheers

Lee

nowhereman

Mar 9, 2011
In The Forest
thats a lovely piece of work - i like that handle thickness, I use a gransfors wildlife hatchet on some of my bows but i find it a little too narrow towards the axe head...

nice one.

v

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I think the only supplier is coldsteel-uk.com

others might get them but I think they are the only importer

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk

I'd disagree with that. A mate of mine just gave me one (as it were) and it's nothing to brag about. He had an excess after buying for a small group and I 'benefitted' from it. We compared his to the one he passed onto me and they were like peas in a pod, so now I have two waiting to be reworked later this week...

The head is disproportionately heavy and thick, the edge is pants and will take quite a bit of work on the belt grinder to bring into fettle, and it's not patch on the slightly lighter and IMHO much better Husqvarna hatchet available from Ramages and others. We're talking just over 2lbs for the one from Garden Machines V 1.21 lb, which is a pretty big difference in a small, very similarly sized hatchet.

Again, just my opinion.

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
I love the cold steel frontier hawk.. its lightweight and extremly effective.. Ask the last Brockwell lot..

if you want a hatchet why not just cut the handle..

Thats a homemade duct tape sheath for it... very important as this baby is super sharp, no sheath supplied

IMAG0528.jpg

IMAG0532.jpg

IMAG0531.jpg

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
I love the cold steel frontier hawk.. its lightweight and extremly effective..

As already mentioned I have a Cold Steel Trail Hawk. Two of them, as it happens. The first thing I did with my main one was order a second handle for it and cut the first down to hatchet length, so one head and two handles makes for lots of options and they are a great tool. However, in this instance I am looking in a different direction.

I have freed up some workshop time so, hopefully, I should have one or even two small hatchets forged up and on the go over the next couple of weeks, all things being equal.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I'd disagree with that. A mate of mine just gave me one (as it were) and it's nothing to brag about. He had an excess after buying for a small group and I 'benefitted' from it. We compared his to the one he passed onto me and they were like peas in a pod, so now I have two waiting to be reworked later this week...

The head is disproportionately heavy and thick, the edge is pants and will take quite a bit of work on the belt grinder to bring into fettle, and it's not patch on the slightly lighter and IMHO much better Husqvarna hatchet available from Ramages and others. We're talking just over 2lbs for the one from Garden Machines V 1.21 lb, which is a pretty big difference in a small, very similarly sized hatchet.

Again, just my opinion.

Well i like it but i also have others,so maybe i'm spoiled.

I use mine as a kindler splitter and hand carver and find it very useful for pack weight and versatility.

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
Well i like it but i also have others,so maybe i'm spoiled.

I use mine as a kindler splitter and hand carver and find it very useful for pack weight and versatility.

Splitting is what it would excel at, given its size and weight. The smaller, lighter Husqvarna axe is a better option for carving IMHO

Check us out - too many axes by half :rolleyes:

:D

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
As already mentioned I have a Cold Steel Trail Hawk. Two of them, as it happens. The first thing I did with my main one was order a second handle for it and cut the first down to hatchet length, so one head and two handles makes for lots of options and they are a great tool. However, in this instance I am looking in a different direction.

I have freed up some workshop time so, hopefully, I should have one or even two small hatchets forged up and on the go over the next couple of weeks, all things being equal.

cool would love to see them forged heads!

i liked the look of the trail hawk but the blade is to narrow for cutting wood i think.. its a lethal weapon no doubt but for timber i cant help thinking it will make smallish cuts.

T

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE