Which Bivi Bag?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

qsalister

Feb 5, 2012
South Yorkshire
Currently looking for a bivi bag. Had a look at the military ones, but they all seem a bit on the weighty side. Looking for something around the 400-500gram mark.

I've narrowed it down to the Rab Storm, Rab Survival Zone and SnugPak Special Forces Bivy.

The bag will mainly be used under a tarp, but will occasionally be used on its own when conditions prevent a tarp from being pitched.

Would be grateful if anyone could share their experience with the bags above, and also recommend anything else that fits the bill.

Cheers

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
My Army bivi bag is a bit heavy for my newer/lighter style of kit so I'm looking to buy an Alpkit Hunka.

http://www.alpkit.com/hunka

I'l see how this thread goes before I buy but they have been mentioned a lot on this forum and following other good advice on here I've bought their Pipedream 400 and their Gamma head torch, And Iv'e been pleased with them, both good value products !

(Still hanging on to an army one though, for different terrain)

Last edited:

qsalister

Feb 5, 2012
South Yorkshire
I have looked at the Hunka. I would have liked an extra large but they're out of stock for a couple of months, and unfortunately I can't wait that long. My only concern is the regular Hunka might be a bit tight, considering I'm 6ft 2.

I recently bought the PipeDream 400, but decided to send it back as it was a little short for my liking. If the PipeDream fits you though, I'd definitely recommend the Hunka based on the reviews I've heard.

qsalister

Feb 5, 2012
South Yorkshire
I came across that article last night. It does look like the ideal solution really. Gore-tex bivy that's fitted to your bag, relatively cheap and fairly lightweight. May consider it depending on the responses this thread gets.

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
I came across that article last night. It does look like the ideal solution really. Gore-tex bivy that's fitted to your bag, relatively cheap and fairly lightweight. May consider it depending on the responses this thread gets.

If you do go down that route please put some pictures on here. I may still do one in the future.

I normally use the army type ones and they are good quality, just a bit heavy.

I recently had a feel of the other bivvy bag materials at an outdoor retailer and wasn't that convinced. I'l probably use one of these lightweight ones during the summer but come the colder months, I know which one I'l be using;).

(Where abouts in S.Yorks are you by the way?)

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I'm 5 foot 10" @ about 13 .5 stone and have the Hunka, Pipedream 400 and the Aero mat from Alpkit. With the mat inside the Hunka, and using the PD 400 it is a snug fit but OK for me. When within the 400 on it's own it is a snug fit anyway so there is not much difference with combining it with the Hunka. No room for any gear storage though with this bivi bag.

The only thing with the Hunka is it is a bit of a wriggling act to get in it and some sort of zip opening would have made things a lot easier but I understand that may compromise the bivi's waterproof-ness.

Steve.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
If you do choose either Rab or Alpkit, why not go down to Alpkit in Ilkeston and try it out for size, or head down to the Rab factory shop at Somercotes. Bargains to be had at the latter (especially in summer!).

qsalister

Feb 5, 2012
South Yorkshire
If you do go down that route please put some pictures on here. I may still do one in the future.

I normally use the army type ones and they are good quality, just a bit heavy.

I recently had a feel of the other bivvy bag materials at an outdoor retailer and wasn't that convinced. I'l probably use one of these lightweight ones during the summer but come the colder months, I know which one I'l be using;).

(Where abouts in S.Yorks are you by the way?)

Yeah I'll document the process with photos etc to help others embarking on a similar project. I would prefer a harder wearing one, and if weight wasn't a concern, I'd go for an army one straight up. However, I'm gonna be carrying it around on my back for 2 months, so every bit of weight I can save within reason is appreciated, and as I'm going to be using it with a tarp most of the time, I reckon I can trade off breath-ability etc for the weight saving.

I'm from Sheffield on the outskirts of the Peak District, Bradfield area if you know it.

I'm 5 foot 10" @ about 13 .5 stone and have the Hunka, Pipedream 400 and the Aero mat from Alpkit. With the mat inside the Hunka, and using the PD 400 it is a snug fit but OK for me. When within the 400 on it's own it is a snug fit anyway so there is not much difference with combining it with the Hunka. No room for any gear storage though with this bivi bag.

The only thing with the Hunka is it is a bit of a wriggling act to get in it and some sort of zip opening would have made things a lot easier but I understand that may compromise the bivi's waterproof-ness.

Steve.

Hmm, it looks like the Hunka would be too small for me then if you're finding it a snug fit. I'd prefer a bag with a zip as well, that's why the Rab bags and the SnugPak appealed to me so much.

qsalister

Feb 5, 2012
South Yorkshire
If you do choose either Rab or Alpkit, why not go down to Alpkit in Ilkeston and try it out for size, or head down to the Rab factory shop at Somercotes. Bargains to be had at the latter (especially in summer!).

Would probably be cheaper to order online and pay the return postage if it's not suitable considering the travel costs. Might head to the Rab factory shop in a couple of weeks and see what's on offer though.

Harb505

Forager
Nov 22, 2011
Lincolnshire
I use a standard army DMP gortex bivi and I don't think its weight can be much more than 500g.
Thinking back I think I clocked it at about 560g but don't quote me.

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
I use the Snugpak bivi and it is plenty roomy and a good weight. Bit delicate feeling, but if you take care it will do a good job. I can get a Thermarest Prolite full length (a tapered mat, not a rectangular one) plus a Snugpak SF1 and/or SF2 inside the bivi. There is a review of bivi bags in this months TGO magazine if you're interested.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE