Which Billy Can?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 5, 2009
Sheffield
I'm a firm favourite of the DIY option - stainless steel tea canister a short length of salvaged steel cable. Total cost of £2.99. It even states it's purpose: TEA in nice friendly letters. I'm sure these branded cans are all very nice but...

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Home made is the most sarisfying - charity shop buscuit tin/tea/coffee/suger can or similar with a knitting needle bail - total cost ...various but the biggest of .mine was 50p!

DIY rules!

I actually prefer mine to a shop bought, copper bottomed model - not because it is better but just because it is ALL MY OWN WORK - very satisfying!

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
imo you cant go wrong with the billy which comes with the swedish army trangia. it comes in aluminium or stainless steel. i have the steel which is far better for open fires but is a bit on the heavy side. it is very well thought out and imo is ideal for bushcraft. the lid is also a small pan which has loops on the handle which you can put a stick through to extend your reach so you dont burn yourself on your fire (very handy).

the only problem is if you are planning on having a hobo stove to fit snugly around it as it is oval shamped.

pete

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Having a Zebra pot, a Mors pot and a number of home-made jobs too, my current favourite is the Mors pot - it really is well thought out - handles on the side and the pouring spout make it much more useful than a standard pot.

As John says though, there's something very satisfying about using anything home-made.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Having a Zebra pot, a Mors pot and a number of home-made jobs too, my current favourite is the Mors pot - it really is well thought out - handles on the side and the pouring spout make it much more useful than a standard pot.

As John says though, there's something very satisfying about using anything home-made.

Do the bail arms lock on the Mors Andy ? Not seen one in the flesh yet.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
a picture paints a thousand words, my swedish army trangia:)

IMG_3694.jpg

IMG_3696.jpg

IMG_3695.jpg

pete

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
Pete
i have one of those think its the alimunum one and i struggle to get it clean once ive done anything more than boil water in it. might be user error tho
Sam

the stainless one seems to be pretty non stick but a mate of mine has the aluninium set and has the same problem. i think aluminium just scraches too easily

pete

Mr Fenna thanks for the motivational speech
Peter t i think it is the aliminium causing the problem like you say it seems to scratch very easily only way i have found to properly clean it is throw it in the sink at home otherwise i end up with bits of stew floating in my tea which aint fun.
Andy e how well do the side arms on the mors ones stow when not in use?
Cheers all
Sam

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
I bought a large Tatonka from the same people you linked to (very helpful they were, too).

It is a quality piece of kit but very (in my opinion) expensive. The broad handle is less secure on pot hangars than the narrower, wire-loop styles. Cleans up well and doesn't alter taste of food.

I had some replica zebra-style billys from one of the bushcraft kit emporia (forget which one.) They looked similar but had a little plastic section at the joint between the handle and the pan (to keep the handle upright). This useless design got burnt in use. The billy still works fine but it was an annoyance before the warped plastic was chipped-off.

I have a set of aluminium billys (like the trac-pac on the site you posted a link to) which were cheap but furred up and tainted the food/water with a metallic taste. I haven't used them since.

In summary, I would stick to stainless steel and either pay the premium (in cash and weight) or make your own.

Hope this helps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE