Whetstones

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

October

Mar 20, 2024
Leyland
Hi all, have any of you folks bought a whetstone kit off amazon, they look good value but are they?
Mainly for knife sharpening in the kitchen.
Cheers Paul

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Generally, you get what you pay for.

Of course it depends on what you want, if you are OK with a rough and ready toothy edge for your slicing then a cheap stone will do it for you in a jiffy.

If you are aiming for hair shaving sharp or reshaping profiles on seriously hard modern steel then you are probably going to need to spend more.

Kitchen knives are often softer steel and designed to take an edge easily and quickly, the downside is that they are used cutting on unsuitable surfaces and tumbled with the rest of the cutlery at the bottom of the sink and take minor damage easily (which again is easily fixed).

Reactions: October

October

Mar 20, 2024
Leyland
Generally, you get what you pay for.

Of course it depends on what you want, if you are OK with a rough and ready toothy edge for your slicing then a cheap stone will do it for you in a jiffy.

If you are aiming for hair shaving sharp or reshaping profiles on seriously hard modern steel then you are probably going to need to spend more.

Kitchen knives are often softer steel and designed to take an edge easily and quickly, the downside is that they are used cutting on unsuitable surfaces and tumbled with the rest of the cutlery at the bottom of the sink and take minor damage easily (which again is easily fixed).
Yeah I'm after a decent edge on the blades.
Ive spent good money on decent kitchen knives so I suppose I shouldn't go cheap on keeping them sharp plus it will benefit my other projects.
King,skerper and shapton seem to be well recommended but not cheap.
So I'll wait for payday and watch a lot more tutorials

October

Mar 20, 2024
Leyland
Reactions: SoldierPalmer

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE