Where to get hold of deer hide in sussex?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
As in the title pretty much, I'd really like to have a go at making buckskin yet am totally unsure of where I'd go about getting a deer skin in the sussex area..anyone know of a source?

Thanks for anyhelp! :)

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
what deer skin are you after I could send you my next one if you pay the charge for the postage, I shoot reds and roe, atb wayne

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
yes no problem i am going back up north this month so should have a few if i am lucky. I will pm you when i am bringing them back do you want it freezing and sending or salted ,atb wayne

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Ah fantastic thank you so much!! :) What would be preferable? If the hide was salted would that affect the making of buckskin in any way? Sorry I'm just not that certain about it..

Spandit I would do, it's just a fair ol' way from me unfortunately as I would definitely do so otherwise!

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
I usually salt if i cannot get them to a freezer but that is just so the hair doesnt slip before i can tan them we salted all our deer chamois and tahr in new zealand and two weeks later i managed to get them done over there and none of the hair fell out but you are only doing it for the skin so either way i dont think it will matter ,atb wayne

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Ah right ok that makes sense then. I'd love to do a hide hair on however I'm not quite sure how as there seems to be so much conflicting information on this. Either way I'd just be very happy to get some off you :)

Just out of interest, what is tahr?

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
easy to do with skin on you can either buy a kit to do it or deisel tan with diesel and bicarbonate of soda pin it out on a rack scrape the flesh of all meat salt and leave to dry off then past on the creamy concoction you mixed and repeat. The kits are good and make the skins soft.
here is a Tarh
OMG-Trivia-09-27-11.jpg

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Ah ok awesome thank you, maybe after I've given buckskin a go I'll have a bash at that too :)

Oh wow that is an incredible looking animal!! I bet the hide off that was incredible.

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
yes he is hanging on the wall with my chamois as i couldnt afford to have them fully mounted i wanted them as rugs but the dog wouldn't stop playing with them so hung them up in my man room so they didn't get destroyed. I am back up to scotland in less than two weeks so hopefully will be successfull and will let you know, atb wayne

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Oh right well that makes sense then, shame they couldn't be on the floor as it looks as though it'd make a fantastic rug! Oh ok awesome thanks very much, much appreciated bud :)

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
Hi I have just got back from scotland the reds were very elusive and have not started rutting yet the hot weather kept them up high out of my ground with the odd one moving about but will have to get back up, i did get a roe buck so you are welcome to the hide it will be skinned this week and can pack it and freeze to send you will want to use it for leather really as it is just coming into winter coat so still has some summer so looks straggly but the leather would be fine. did you get a kit to tan as it will need soaking in solution as that way all critters still in the hair will die off it will be frozen so if it goes straight in it will be fine.
I will be going back up again so have plenty of chances for red hides for you,atb wayne

As in the title pretty much, I'd really like to have a go at making buckskin yet am totally unsure of where I'd go about getting a deer skin in the sussex area..anyone know of a source?

Thanks for anyhelp! :)

I will be starting my Chinese Water Deer Cull next Friday

2010_0130templemay20080003.jpg
They might not be big but they have FANGS!!

I always end up with more skins than I have time to deal with myself, the skins are not anywhere as big as a red or fallow but if you are willing to pay the postage and packing you can have as many as you want. I'll pm you after the first outing and let you know how many I have, let me know if you're interested. This goes for anyone else who needs/wants any deer skins if you pm me and are willing to pay postage you can have them on a first come first served basis.

Hi All,

The cost of sending deer skins by post seems to be prohibitively expensive, I wasn't expecting it to be so much. I will look into other options of sending them, courier etc.. but will perhaps try and attend the bushmoot next year and then anyone who expresses an interest in the skins here can pick them up. I will salt them down in the meantime unless anyone desperately wants one strait away.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE