Where to begin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
W

Wander

I have just got into bushcraft and I'm just wondering where is should start.

Thanks

W

Wander

Anywhere you want. Just go out and do it, all the info you ever want or need is at your fingertips right here.

Yeah but there must be a good point to begin. Is there any kit I need to try and get (I'm only 15).

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
You don't need any kit. It just makes things easier. I suppose a knife is where most people start, then you can carve, cut and make stuff.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
You would need to ask your parents to get it for you if you wanted a crooked or "spoon" knife, other than that you could make a flint knife but thats REALLY hard lol

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
You could always try to burn one out and some people have followed the youtube guides to modding kitchen knifes although I wouldn't reccomend it. Why not try tracking, navigation and wildfood for a start

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
im 15 too. get a mora and a cheap hatchet or a billhook and a folding saw. then read for a few hours on this forum, then try battoning, feathersticks, chopping down a small tree and lots of other beginner things like that. then get yourself a firesteel and find an old cotton teatowel and a tin and make some charcloth. spend a couple of hours trying to get a flame from charcloth ember in various materials (to start with try thinly torn tissue papre and a few woodshavings). once you can do that easily try building a fire from that flame using your feathersticks and kindling you have chopped up. then you know how to get from ember to fire so try a firedrill (bow, stick and two blocks of wood, youtube it) and try getting that to work (much harder but can be made basically anywhere. then some other more advanced stuff like spoon and bowl making (get a couple of crook knives) and shelter building and within a year you will have spent loads on random bits of kit and be weaving crayfish traps and building birchbark canoes! :D
inspirational or what! ;) :D

also, look at the knife laws. but basically for bushcraft all you need to know is you can have a knife if your parents buy you one (or 40 and counting in my case :D ). understanding parents are very useful in bushcraft or it can be hard to get going, and you need to be responsible and accept now that your going to get burnt and loose blood, but its part of the learning curve and a decent scar is a very good reminder of exactly what NOT to do (dont cut towards yourself if you want to keep your macaroni cheese down in my case!)
good luck!

some useful links:
http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Mora-Knives/Mora-Clipper/p-92-304-4200/ - very good site and great knife
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BCB-FIREBALL-...ltDomain_3&hash=item2304378ece#ht_1708wt_1199 - something along those lines...
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7001545/Trail/searchtext>AXE.htm - silly cheap but effective
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/7-5-Quality-F..._Equipment&hash=item33559a3110#ht_2264wt_1137 - dunno laplanders the best but trying to keep price low so its more convincing to parents :D
http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/cutting-tools/frosts-bushcraft-spoon-carving-knife.htm - something like that but try to get single edged ones or file an edge off.

oh and sharpening! - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MACHETE-MACHE...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item255a0b8651

you will find a lot of better quality and more expensive tools out there but that should get the ball rolling! :D
no connection to any sellers etc. etc.

W

Wander

Thank you, I alredy have a firesteel which I can start small fires with. I will approach my parents soon bit I think they will say no. Thank you for your help!!!

W

Wander

I'm just starting out, I'm not that skilled, I might be able to get my scout friend to get me an opinel next time he is away.

W

Wander

I will ask my parents soon. Is stuff like the mora clipper legal in the uk in public woods

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
like i said read the laws. basically no you cant have a knife without an over 18 with you but once you are over 18 you can only carry a sub 3" non locking folder without having to give good reason. carrying anything else and you need a good reason (bushcraft being a good reason, so long as you can proove it like where you are going/have just been)

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
as long as you have a reason, and have not killed anyone with it, then yes it's fine. If not, the "I found it" excuse works out for my girlfriend's brother!

TomBartlett

Spoon worrier
Jun 13, 2009
Madison, WI
www.sylvaspoon.com
I would recommend getting a good book, such as Bushcraft and read it cover to cover. That book will give you a taste for what bushcraft has to offer. As JohnathonD said, this forum has all the info you'll need. If you can't find it already here, ask. I'd recommend a book because there's not too many wifi hotspots out in the woods. Do a few searches here on stuff you're interested in, or search for things like 'beginners bushcraft' or 'top tips'. There's a brilliant thread on here where BritishRed was giving a youngster tutelage on beginning bushcraft that's a fantastic place to start. Try to not get caught up in the kit side of things just yet. Bushcraft can be a fantastically cheap hobby, but it can also be massively expensive (custom knives, titanium cooking gear etc) so see you enjoy it before splashing out too much. With enough knowledge you'll be able to make everything you need yourself, which is something that really appeals to me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE