Where not to camp.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
A colleague of mine mentioned today that he had recently come across a bushcraft style encampment in some woods where he was working. He described hammocks strung between trees and a camouflaged tarp. I can't say exactly where he was but it was near Widnes.

The problem: my profile has my occupation as "Toxic avenger", which is shorthand for working in the investigation and remediation of contaminated land. My colleague was collecting soil samples because the area is contaminated with, among other things, radioactive thorium.

If that was you, then my advice is to find a different spot.

Please be careful if you are wild camping without permission. If an area looks wild and uncared for, particularly if it is previously industrial land, it may have been left alone because of soil or water contamination.

Z

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Ooh nasty, how does a woodland become radioactive then ?

I don't know the site in question, but it could either be that since the land became contaminated, it has simply been left to go wild, or it could be that the contamination was dumped in the woods to get rid of it.

Z

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Ooh nasty, how does a woodland become radioactive then ?

Thorium, the legacy of the gas age, I expect all Victorians would have set off alarms at any nuclear facility today, not to mention the popular fad for Radium as a tonic after it was discovered.

And do not drink Volvic, whatever you do, or visit Aberdeen.

We're all doomed I tell you, doomed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE