Where in London / south-east can I try on boots in extra width fitting?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fredster

Forager
Oct 16, 2009
Ipswich, Suffolk
I have wide feet and as a result I'm reluctant to order boots online. Does anyone know of an outdoor store thats likely to stock walking boots in various width fittings?

Last boots I bought are a a lovely pair of Zamberlans for £50 at TK Maxx(!). They're excellent boots and ?nearly? fit but after a full day on foot they pinch a little (even with thin socks) so I've decided to stop being a cheapskate and get some boots that fit properly. The local Blacks, Cotswolds, Millets et al only seem to offer standard width boots, I'm wondering if their 'mega' stores in London carry a fuller range?

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
Most brands dont do varying width's of boot/shoe, however the width of each brand will vary slightly. It is my unserstanding that Italian brands like Scarpa and Zamberlan tend to be quite narrow, whereas other brands like north face and brasher are pretty wide. Surprised the shop assistants in your local Cotswalds didn't say this as they tend to be pretty helpful in my experience.

I have read of a company in Kendal that do 3 or 4 widths of boot, but cant remember the name. As far as I've seen they are the only people that do.

My advice is just try on loads! I've really struggled to get comfortable boots that will last, and ended up with a wide fitting boot despite very narrow feet, which really surptised me,

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
Most brands dont do varying width's of boot/shoe, however the width of each brand will vary slightly. It is my unserstanding that Italian brands like Scarpa and Zamberlan tend to be quite narrow, whereas other brands like north face and brasher are pretty wide. Surprised the shop assistants in your local Cotswalds didn't say this as they tend to be pretty helpful in my experience.

I have read of a company in Kendal that do 3 or 4 widths of boot, but cant remember the name. As far as I've seen they are the only people that do.

My advice is just try on loads! I've really struggled to get comfortable boots that will last, and ended up with a wide fitting boot despite very narrow feet, which really surptised me,

Altberg is who you mean

Kwaidan

Jan 4, 2012
S.E. London
'Altimus' have a store on Kensington High Street which apparently stores the extra wide Altbergs and have a decent selection of other boots. I don't have wide feet so didn't note what they had specifically for that.
The assistant helping me was a qualified podiatrist (dunno if they all are) and I was about an hour working out foot shape and walking style and matching that to the best boots for me. There was no rush and no trying to sell the most expensive boot.

It's only a couple minutes walk from the tube station if you use public transport. Might be worth giving them a call.

(No links with the store/company just a satisfied customer etc, etc..)

Chrisf

Aug 24, 2012
South yorkshire
I have extra narrow feet and I use the altberg have an extra narrow fitting but also extra wide, good boots but a bit heavy. If you like the zamberland try stretching them with good quality boot you will be amazed how much they can be stretched. A good boot fitter can also just stretch around the toe or sides using a bar. I would also say that most of have forgotten that it can take quite a while to break in leather boots, now we are all used to wearing synthetics boots with spongy internals.

'Altimus' have a store on Kensington High Street which apparently stores the extra wide Altbergs and have a decent selection of other boots. I don't have wide feet so didn't note what they had specifically for that.
The assistant helping me was a qualified podiatrist (dunno if they all are) and I was about an hour working out foot shape and walking style and matching that to the best boots for me. There was no rush and no trying to sell the most expensive boot.

It's only a couple minutes walk from the tube station if you use public transport. Might be worth giving them a call.

(No links with the store/company just a satisfied customer etc, etc..)

Good tip there!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE