Where have the bees gone this year?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nomade

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 8, 2004
Sutton (Surrey, UK)
I have a plot on an allotment in "Greater London" I am cultivating for the 2nd year only after clearing it to a large extent from the brambles it was covered in.

I have dedicated the plot's surface for a significant part to nectar producing flowers, among those that most attract bees or bumble bees.

To my amazement I can't see any bees there even on the sunniest and warmest days...Another insect loving person on the same allotment has lots of nectar flowers on her plot and no bees are to be seen there either...

This is very worrying. I remember last year nectar producing plants buzzing with bees on the same allotment.

What is going on? It is very worrying.

Does anyone know? Does anyone have the latest news on bee populations in Britain this year?

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I am in the same situation as you in having a lottie down here.
I am growing much the same sort of stuff as last year, but so far there really seems only to be a fraction of the number of bees about when compared to last year.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I have stacks bizzzy about an evergreen hedge and my daisies, clover and garden plants. I have deliberately not cut the grass since may. It's pretty short anyway. Don't want to upset the garden a la 'The Happening'. I also don't cut off flowers as after watching the 'Silence of the Bees' whilst covering a biology class, I was shocked.

Nick

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I saw loads in a small bush outside a customers house last week, and was surprised to see two different types of bee working the same patch without scrapping. One was the traditional big fat bumblebee type, the other was smaller with a white band around its' abdomen. In a bush about the same size as a standard door, there must have been twenty or thirty bees. It was great to watch.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My garden is full of them too :)
I don't know what is happening down your way nomade but I really hope the problem resolves and doesn't travel northwards :(
I like the bees bustling about........and honey and beeswax :D and the fruit and flowers they polinate.

cheers,
Toddy

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I have a plot on an allotment in "Greater London" I am cultivating for the 2nd year only after clearing it to a large extent from the brambles it was covered in

I'm not that far from Sutton and our garden is full of all sorts of bees. There's a bumble bee nest in our roof, all sorts of bumble bees, mining bees etc in the garden and just last week I noticed our hebes crawling with honey bees.

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
This may seem like a daft question, but seeing as you're in a urban environment are there any mobile phone masts or transmitters near your allotments? I have beekeeping friends on another forum who've been observing that bees dislike mobile phones (seriously!) and there's a theory that the signals emitted seriously disturbs them in some way. If a mobile phone is placed on top of a hive they will avoid returning to it until it's removed - I imagine wi-fi computer technology could have the same effect too. If your area has a high density of these things it could be one cause.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I had few bees last summer, but a lot of wasps?

Its not just bees going, the butterfly and moth population is shrinking too :(

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I think that there have been less bees this month than usual in my area, but last month they were at what seemed to be normal levels.

I had noticed that there weren't many around because I look out for them when my courgettes and other flowering vegetables need pollinating. The weather has been pretty good and there are usually loads of them around on my allotment, especially when things are flowering.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
It the same here in my bit of Suffolk, I was in the garden just now, I couldn't see any bees, or bumblebees, or butterflies, although there were a few hover flies There are been very few around and it's not because the garden is ultra tidy, or even just tidy! Sad :( really.

wolfshead

Jun 21, 2008
Kibblesworth
There was a piece on the box this morning, apparently there is some sort of virus going round in Beeland that's kicking them to bits, I didn't catch it all cos' I was going to work

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Varroa isn't a virus, it's a parasitic mite (as it says in the first sentence of the page you linked to), and it's been a problem for bee-keepers for many years. I am not aware that the current bee disappearances have been definitely linked to the varroa mite.

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
No indeed, you are right. Not the mite itself, but this:

Varroa jacobsoni thrives by passing viruses from bee to bee and weakening their immune systems. The mite can wipe out a colony of 50,000 bees inside three years.

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
varroa isn't a problem for beekeepers these days if you manage your hives reaasonably well. On a happy note we lost 4 out of six hives over the winter (mainly due to rubbish breeding conditions last year) but two have been filled by random swarms this year so we're effortlessly back up to four! :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE