where have all the millbank water filters gone?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Apac

Tenderfoot
Feb 3, 2007
Hull, uk
well i had a quick look on the net and to my surprise i couldn't find any??

Does anyone know where to buy one?

Apac

Tenderfoot
Feb 3, 2007
Hull, uk
So has there production cease? i dont think ill be paying the £25 going rate lol, just had a look at the micron bags on ebay think ill be going that route instead..

So has there production cease? i dont think ill be paying the £25 going rate lol, just had a look at the micron bags on ebay think ill be going that route instead..

thats the route i took ages a go cause i think £20 is a rip off, a tenner was my max, i use the filters for wine making and thats when i got the idea for using them for water a one micron bag is pretty close to clean as far as a filter sock is going to go without a pump putting preasure behind it,,

southey what does "Have you endicottes matey?" mean whats a endicotte when its at home

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Please dont take this as inflammatory, it's meant as honest advice, based on one I seen made out of artists canvas. That didn't work in the real world at all.

If your going to try a 1 micron wine filter, try it out in the back garden with dirty muddy water first, to check the flow rates/hydrostatic head requirements/clogging etc.

Just in case it ends up being a thirsty day out in the field :)

Good luck!

sorry but i have never tried to put dirty water into is, i only use clean to look at water and then i try to pass it through the filter to make sure that i am safer than i was before. if you have no choise but a ditch full of dirty water to drink or nothing at alll, i would personaly go home instead, or the shop, the worst i have ever done is the dark red water from a moor stream you know the peaty water stuff

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
thats the route i took ages a go cause i think £20 is a rip off, a tenner was my max, i use the filters for wine making and thats when i got the idea for using them for water a one micron bag is pretty close to clean as far as a filter sock is going to go without a pump putting preasure behind it,,

southey what does "Have you endicottes matey?" mean whats a endicotte when its at home

HA! sorry, I meant Have you tried Endicotts matey? they are a surplus store, best to ring even if what your looking for isnt shown on there website

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I have used mine a lot, with clear water followed by a boil or a puri tab all the way to a stagnant horrible pool of liquid followed by a boil, the millbank excels because of it sturdy design, you dunk it in, get it soaked, let the initial run off wash the muck of the out side then fill the billy, scrub the inside of the bag and its ready for the next time, it can take the rough handling that is required so as to not be at danger of failing if dropped full or cleaned roughly while out for a while.

Apac

Tenderfoot
Feb 3, 2007
Hull, uk
ye iv used endicotts before ill give them a ring see if they have any laying around, thank for the heads up.

Apac

Tenderfoot
Feb 3, 2007
Hull, uk
not sure about that mate iv just had a look, iv posted an add on the members classified and will hopefully revive one by the weekend. cheers for the heads up anyway!

Apac

Tenderfoot
Feb 3, 2007
Hull, uk
typical lol, i had a look last week and the only one on there was £25+£5pp and there was no way i was paying that kind of money for one!

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
typical lol, i had a look last week and the only one on there was £25+£5pp and there was no way i was paying that kind of money for one!

One about to end on the 'bay just now that looks like it's going for more than that.

Have things gotten dearer, or is money just worth less than even a few years ago?

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I got one off the bay for about a tenner, but I searched for 'canvas filter bag' not Millbanks. Amazing how things get expensive depending on how they are labelled.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE