Where did it all start for you?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What was your starting point in Bushcraft

• Cubs/Brownies/Scouts

Votes: 29 21.3%
  • Military

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • Other

Votes: 101 74.3%

• Total voters

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
It occured to me a few days ago that there must be loads of us who used to be in the Cubs/Brownies, etc as kids. So just for fun...

Chris

PS// Forgot to add Guides. D'oh!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Reading Enid Blyton did it for me.....kids run away to island and live rough to escape evil step mother...forget title....
Then it was "Survival for Young People by A Greenbank...brill book!

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
My mother (Moya on this forum) was a cub leader so I was taken to all the camps while i was very young...... and joined when I was old enough. We actually had a cub pack was enjoyable, learning all about nature and backwoodsmanship etc.... unfortunatly we moved a couple of years later and the new pack was more into 3 a-side football tournaments and playing other games :( ... which wasn't really my thing.

Ed

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
My Dad used to take me out hunting from the age of 5 and he would always have natural history programs on. In my teens I'd watch Bushtucker man and go for bimbles. I got married, had kids and went off camping. Then came Ray Mears and here we are.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
For me it was camping with friends and family when I was a kid, Ray Mears was a huge eye opener for me aswell, as I love to make things, so seeing Ray make things like spoons and cordage really appealed to me.

Simon.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Started at the cubs, but it was the army that did it for me as i was classed as "dangerous" to go on any cub camp trips, no idea why except i remember showing the other cubs how to blow up piles of dirt with stolen thunderflashes from my dad's kit bag :cool:

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
I was introduced to the woods when I was just a little un. My grandfather enjoyed bimbles in the local beech wood and I used to go along with him.

One day we were out, a rain storm decided to happen and we spent ten minutes making a shelter. We got under it and waited out the shower. We could've pressed on but we weren't well equipped in the clothes department and we would've got soaked. As it was the rain only lasted about an hour and once we had dismantled the shelter it looked as if we had never been there. I guess it was then I realised that you could live in the woods and survive in luxury.

After that eye opening day I read everything I could about survival and living off the land. Even though I was a girl, Granddad taught me a lot about the woods, the weather and other bits n pieces. I learnt most of what I know from him, he was a very patient and generous man.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
From about 8 years onwards, after school and during the summer holidays, our door would open and I would shoot off into Bothwell Castle woods with one of my mates.

Dammed small streams until they overflowed (talk about futility!) chased each other round the woods with fern 'spears,' tried to make bows, built shelters and then removed all trace to hide the location from his little brother, climbed trees, hunkered down and bird watched, chase and get chased by some cows (we were young!) eventually moved on to making fires, half cooking sausages for dinner and camping out (parents thought we were in each others gardens!)

We were in the Boys Brigade up here in Scotland, similar to scouts but more religious (which is why I left) 2 week camp in Whitby, Burnham on Sea and St Annes.

Now if my kids were to do that!!!! :eek::D It saddens me that my kids probably wont get up to the antics I did, I hope they do, but suspect that they wont get the freedom to.

It was lofty and ray mears that drew me back to the 'green side'

Cheers,

Alan

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
:lmao:

From about 8 years onwards, after school and during the summer holidays, our door would open and I would shoot off into Bothwell Castle woods with one of my mates.

Dammed small streams until they overflowed (talk about futility!) chased each other round the woods with fern 'spears,' tried to make bows, built shelters and then removed all trace to hide the location from his little brother, climbed trees, hunkered down and bird watched, chase and get chased by some cows (we were young!) eventually moved on to making fires, half cooking sausages for dinner and camping out (parents thought we were in each others gardens!)

We were in the Boys Brigade up here in Scotland, similar to scouts but more religious (which is why I left) 2 week camp in Whitby, Burnham on Sea and St Annes.

Now if my kids were to do that!!!! :eek::D It saddens me that my kids probably wont get up to the antics I did, I hope they do, but suspect that they wont get the freedom to.

It was lofty and ray mears that drew me back to the 'green side'

Cheers,

Alan

Reminds me of me!
However, come the tennage years...well i just couldn't or wouldn't be allowed to post them memories here :tapedshut
But hey, here's a story...kipping out of an evening (crowd of us, in woods ,near the village), big fire and natural windbreak on the go,with a small libation :lmao:
we were joined by some of the older crowd,fresh from the pub:rolleyes: , one of whom thought the fire needed another log...however in his alcohol induced state he forgot to let go(as you do),
Fear not, although first aid and common sense were out the window, instict prevailed and one of our tribe who was relieving himself about turned and put our mates fire wig out without too much damage...
Sorry,
Tom.

RobertRogers

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 12, 2006
USA
hungry-survivor-269.jpg

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Sea scout's for me, would have been cub's but my local troup did'nt have any space :(
I suppose my dad really got me interested from a young age with canoe camping trips etc, scout's just kicked of the meat of it really. I believe my sea scout troup has disbanded now, as i left for venture's my coxswain left, a really grim day for all and the skipper was thinking about retirement due to the aded pressure. No one else to fill their boot's, real shame :banghead:

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Junior mountain rescue, a club where I grew up run by a couple of members of the pukka mountain rescue team.

A weekly evening meeting where we learned the ropes and outings every second weekend doing hillwalking/climbing/camping/survival/etc.
We used to act as victims for the MR training exercises, hiding away in the hills from the dogs and helicopters(childish radio chatter - "I can see you and you can't see me":rolleyes: ). Also done half a dozen public demonstrations a year from the parapet and tower of Brodick castle(joint demos alongside the real MR).

Had done various outdoorsy things before joining but it was undoubtably the juniors that set me off for life.
Some of the things like ice climbing and the likes were kinda dodgy from an insurance/kids safety point of view. I think that's why it eventually shut down. There came a time where "Kids bounce" just wasn't good enough anymore.

CRAZY FROG

Forager
Aug 9, 2007
essex
For me it was my first caravan holiday in the NEW FOREST were i have spent many a happy day wondering through the forest watching the wildlife perticuler the Dear.
as well fishing.
Crazy frog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE