Where can I get smaller stuff sacks?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
I've been looking for some smaller stuff sacks (preferably ripstop nylon/silnylon, but mesh will be fine) in sizes from approx 6" x 4" to around 9" x 6", for tent pegs and smaller bits of hammock hardware (dutch clips etc) as I'm paranoid about them falling out of a bishop bag and want to keep them safe. I thought this would be an easy task...but after much searching the smallest I can find is 12" x 8" and thats just too big.

Just wondered if anyone knows of somewhere I can get smaller stuff sacks or get some made up, without costing too much hopefully.

MattB

Jul 9, 2012
UK
The little net bags that come with washing powder are quite handy!

(though no use for tent pegs)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Give Kepis a shout, he'll make you some up to whatever size you want

The Alpkit ones are good, as are Gossamer Gear, Sea to Summit do some smaller ones too, lots out there

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Thanks for the replies chaps. Mr Fenna PM'd me first so he's looking to see if he can do them at the moment, Bilmo-p5 you'll be getting a PM if he can't do them. I knew if I posted on here it would get sorted quickly! :)

Edit: All sorted now. Thanks everyone. :)

Last edited:

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I've had the same problem. I've always used small ditty bags to keep small items of kit organised in a large pack. They used to be easy to find. The size you mention should be easy to come by, but they aren't, unless you pay over the odds for unecessarily high spec waterproof or mesh bags. The suggestions so far are helpful, but there does seem to be a dearth of really small, easily available, cheap ones in the major outdoor shops. I tried Blacks, Millets, GoOutdoors and Cotswold with no success.

A source of small, cheap bags in a range of colours would be very helpful.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
:)
Custom stuff sacks ordered and made for the man :)
I just need the money now and they are his :)
I can see why getting hold of the small sizes is hard - sewing a drawcord hem in a 4" wide hem is ... rather fiddley!
Bigger sizes are a doddle as they fit round the sleeve arm of a sewing machine ... half the effort!

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
I second the Alpkit ones. Ordered 4 just after Christmas and arrived the next day. Just what i was after and very light.

Snozz

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
That price is right, but I'd like something smaller. About 6"x4" or 7"x5"- the size tent pegs come in when supplied with a tent. It seems the OP and I are after the same thing.
I would offer to make for you ... but the OP had the last of my rip stop!

Hog On Ice

Nomad
Oct 19, 2012
Virginia, USA
:)
Custom stuff sacks ordered and made for the man :)
I just need the money now and they are his :)
I can see why getting hold of the small sizes is hard - sewing a drawcord hem in a 4" wide hem is ... rather fiddley!
Bigger sizes are a doddle as they fit round the sleeve arm of a sewing machine ... half the effort!

hummm - I make the drawcord hem first then sew the rest of the bag and then turn it inside out - very easy

I would offer to make for you ... but the OP had the last of my rip stop!

I have plenty of ripstop but I'm in the wrong country

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I've just received a packet of small bags from Bilmo. They really are just the job and excellent value for money. I now have a set of small draw string bags in a range of colours and sizes just right for organising small items of kit so as to be easily accessible in my grab bag and rucksack.

I'm also grateful to Pauljm for the OP that triggered the reponses from Bilmo and John Fenna. I had despaired of getting the sort of thing I wanted after fruitless searches in the outdoor shops and websites. I do hope Bilmo gets plenty of orders: I can't recommend his service highly enough.

The range of skills and expertise of members never ceases to amaze me.

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
I've just received a packet of small bags from Bilmo. They really are just the job and excellent value for money. I now have a set of small draw string bags in a range of colours and sizes just right for organising small items of kit so as to be easily accessible in my grab bag and rucksack.

I'm also grateful to Pauljm for the OP that triggered the reponses from Bilmo and John Fenna. I had despaired of getting the sort of thing I wanted after fruitless searches in the outdoor shops and websites. I do hope Bilmo gets plenty of orders: I can't recommend his service highly enough.

The range of skills and expertise of members never ceases to amaze me.

Glad you're sorted too. It was searching for ages and not finding anything suitable that made me ask and within 20 minutes I had an answer and John did me a lovely set. Although I did place an order with Alpkit yesterday (love their titanium kit!) and found they do smaller stuff sacks there too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE