When we were scouts - Tuesday on BBC 2 - 8 PM

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I also couldnt believe (I may have missed it) that Peter Duncan wasn't featured either?

He was on the telly and now he's the blinking chief scout!

BP spent time in Africa not India as is was told.

He spent time in both - India for the Afghan conflicts and Africa during the Second Boer War.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I watched it and enjoyed it. Was a land cub, sea scout, sea venture scout, sea scout leader, land leader then Uni beckoned.

It was a great experience with trained up skills and responsibilty.

Safety due to experience of you patrol leaders etc and working together. Sailed from Arran to Rhu, no rescue boats.

A lot of adults would not trust a 13yr old to cook three meals a day fro 8 boys and stay at a camp for two weeks.

Looked out my dads 'Scouting for Boys' 1957, and skim read it after.

Ironic how BCUK users are doing these activities that kids did. :eek:

Nick

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
miniac said:
BP spent time in Africa not India as is was told
I think he actually did India first as a Junior Officer, thats where he learn to play polo and developed a taste of "pig sticking" http://pinetreeweb.com/bp-varsity2.htm

Baden Powell said:
Soon after my first arrival in India the Graphic offered remuneration for sketches of interest from the front, so I tried my hand at it, and to my surprise and satisfaction 1 got a cheque for six guineas for the first attempt.

So I didn't delay to send in more, and this was the beginning of a long and happy connection with that journal. It brought me into personal touch and friendship with Mr. Carmichael Thomas, then proprietor and Editor. Also it brought me into touch with a very useful addition to my slender income as a subaltern, and eventually enabled me to take my share in polo and pig-sticking, which would otherwise have been impossible."
miniac said:
Lot af chat bout uniform, well I dont like the new one infact my explorers only wear it no more than 4 times a year. And its to expensive to wear in activities such as camping.....
Mine neither, it gets dragged out for St Georges Day, District Presentation night and I ask them to wear it when we are doing investitures/enrollments.

Our programme can get a bit geographically scattered but we try to always meet at the HQ on the first Thursday of each month, so I can give out notices, sign up DofE book etc. They have just asked to start wearing uniform to that one and having flag break and even games which is something I never expected. :)

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
DarDar said:
my personal picking point was the quality of the lashings they used on the raft. Never mind the fact they used telegraph poles!!!! Although it has to be said, that the show if seen by possible youth members, would encourage them to think about joining up.
It wasn't the raft that got me, it would have held for an hour or so but why the heck didn't they get changed first? As for weaing trainers and socks!! I realy don't think so :lmao:

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
I enjoyed it few errors and the bit at the end tieing the scarf around BP neck and saying he prefered a pint etc was a bit off . Think the young people all wore uniform as part of the PR exercise as it would have lost a lot if they were in own clothes . We normaly start camp in uniform this is then not worn untill end of camp service .

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Scots_Charles_River said:
I watched it and enjoyed it. Was a land cub, sea scout, sea venture scout, sea scout leader, land leader then Uni beckoned.

It was a great experience with trained up skills and responsibilty.

Safety due to experience of you patrol leaders etc and working together. Sailed from Arran to Rhu, no rescue boats.

A lot of adults would not trust a 13yr old to cook three meals a day fro 8 boys and stay at a camp for two weeks.

Looked out my dads 'Scouting for Boys' 1957, and skim read it after.

Ironic how BCUK users are doing these activities that kids did. :eek:

Nick

People,mainly scouters, asking about bushcraft meets usually get the simple explination from me, "like a scout camp for grown ups, with beer round the fire instead of explorers!"

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
miniac said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniac
BP spent time in Africa not India as is was told

I stand corrected :eek:
But you were correct, mate. His first posting was to the 13th Hussars in India. He served in southern Africa years later.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
michiel said:
There's a documentary on the scouts tuesday.

This may be worth watching.

Michiel

It was very poor.

In fact, I would go as far as to say that it was very, very poor.

I felt they missed a great opportunity to be a bit more positive - or even more balanced - about the Scouting movement when what they actually did was produce yet another 'talking head' programme (perhaps it should have been called 'Top Ten Cliches You Remember From The Scouts'). Basically it was a few reminiscences from some random z-list celebrities, interspersed with a potted history (that didn't do the subject any justice), and a p*ss-take sequence of Neil Morrissey going through all of the usual stereotypes at a scout camp. I mean, 'Dyb-dyb-dyb, Dob-dob-dob'! Oh, come on! :banghead:

This was cheap television at its worst. There was the possibility of an interesting piece on the history, ethics, relevance and progress of the Scout movement. What we got was the usual hackneyed rubbish, made for idiots, and dumbed-down for cheap laughs.

I hope someone has the balls to make a decent informative programme but, sadly, I doubt it.

Do you get the feeling I didn't like it very much?

D

Deleted member 4605

Mikey P said:
what they actually did was produce yet another 'talking head' programme (perhaps it should have been called 'Top Ten Cliches You Remember From The Scouts'). Basically it was a few reminiscences from some random z-list celebrities, interspersed with a potted history (that didn't do the subject any justice), and a p*ss-take sequence of Neil Morrissey going through all of the usual stereotypes at a scout camp.

Sounds like most television shows these days, which is why I watch less and less television. Sigh.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
As a relativel unbiased observer I'm quite interested in this debate. Having read many of the scouting threads on this forum and listened to the experiences of members and leaders (I have been debating getting involved myself) it seems to me that there are huge variations within the movement - real or perceived.

Some threads I have read (Stovies for example) show scouts out doing what I would perceive as activities akin to the old days of "pioneering", "camp cookery" etc. Others describe something that seems to be trying to appeal to a more modern urban youth culture.

The uniform and "military" debate I find interesting. Is wearing a uniform and being subject to a hierarchichal military type organisation now perceived as a "bad thing"? Seems there is a difference between the BP scouts and the Scout Association and between different troops in the Scout Association.

As an outsider looking in (and an ex-scout, parent and someone who was debating get involved) the things that I liked most about scouting were the notions of honour, fair play, respect, community, discipline and structure. I can understand that such things are unfashionable these days, but I am saddened that words like "uniform", "military" and "discipline" are now seen to have negative connotations :(

Red

D

Deleted member 4605

British Red said:
Seems there is a difference between the BP scouts and the Scout Association and between different troops in the Scout Association.

Baden-Powell Scout Association and Scout Association are two completely different organisations. Both practice Scouting, but take a different approach.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
So I'm beginning to understand - was this always the case? I thought originally it was just one movement (sorry for being ignorant). I don't recall the difference when I was a scout (30 odd years ago)

Red

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
British Red said:
So I'm beginning to understand - was this always the case? I thought originally it was just one movement (sorry for being ignorant). I don't recall the difference when I was a scout (30 odd years ago)

Red
I am a scouter and although I knew there was a couple of different organisations in Ireland I wasn't aware,until members of B-P scouts posted on here, that B-P scouts existed in the UK.

D

Deleted member 4605

British Red said:

No. BPSA was formed in 1970. Wikipedia has a good article on BPSA.

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
I was, but then it's not something that seems to get talked about.

Personally I think that's a pity, because deep down we're all after the same thing, giving something great to the kids.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I certainly knew about the B-P Scouts when I was in Scouts. (mid 80s to early 90s) - I think there was a troop or two in Newport

Additionally, both my parents played in the B-P Scout Band that existed in Newport up until the early 90s.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just read the link schwuk - thank you, now that looks like scouts as I remember them (showing my age I guess). Its interesting (and I guess a lttle difficult to find out) what the differences are between the groups.I would ask more but I don't want to stir up anything :eek:

Red

D

Deleted member 4605

British Red said:
Just read the link schwuk - thank you, now that looks like scouts as I remember them (showing my age I guess).

It's how I remember them (from my brief sojourn as a Cub Scout many years ago) also, so I must be showing my age as well! :D

British Red said:
Its interesting (and I guess a little difficult to find out) what the differences are between the groups.I would ask more but I don't want to stir up anything :eek:

To be honest, I'm not the best person to ask. I only got involved with B-P Scouts relatively recently as my son came of Beaver age and of the two groups active near me the BPSA one was on the rise whilst the SA one (which is a Sea Scouts group) is in real danger of closing. I signed on as an Assistant Beaver Leader, and rapidly got sucked in (not that I resisted that much) to the point where I'm now the Scout Leader (as well as still participating in Beavers and Cubs due to my children's attendance at each) - all in the last nine months or so. Hence most of my scouting knowledge is BP based with little to compare it to.

I'm happy to discuss how my group (and I) approach things, but if it will stir things up maybe it should be done via PM.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Goose said:
I am a scouter and although I knew there was a couple of different organisations in Ireland I wasn't aware,until members of B-P scouts posted on here, that B-P scouts existed in the UK.

Nor me - I didn't even know there was a splinter group. Very interesting. And something else they failed to mention in the TV programme...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE