When we were scouts - Tuesday on BBC 2 - 8 PM

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
DarDar said:
Just watched it. Pretty good although there were some things would make some good scouts cringe...... :p

tend to agree - but in the whole i think it portrayed Scouting (and Guideing) in a very positive way ..... for a change!

D

Deleted member 4605

Didn't get to see it - I was at my GSM's house hammering out the Scout programme for the coming term. I've got it ready to watch though.

Did anyone catch the first part of the Boys, Badges and Baden-Powell on Radio 4 last Saturday? If you follow that link you can listen to it again.

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
I had half a eye to it, I was helping to hammer out the programme for the new Explorer Scout unit I'm joining and the TV was on. We didn't get much planning done when it was showing!

Was that Gilwell, where the scouts and Explorers were? I know it was at the end.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The best scout group around? - I think not!
They do not even know the difference between the Sign and Salute!
Backwoods cooking - with foil and newspaper?
My old scouts would wet themselves!

As a prog it was so lightweight as to be floating in the air - and only B. Cribbins remembered any of his souting skills.
At least Cherie Bleugh admitted that her husband is - and I quote - "useless"!
D**n right!

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Plenty to get worked-up :aargh4: about but surprised myself by getting most upset about the far from backwoods-sympathetic uniforms of today! :( Maybe its simply because I’m so ‘into’ camo-type clothing but what is wrong with a standard kaki outfit, and distinguish troops and status by neckwear and badges – preferably LOTS of the latter? Do “young people of today” (sorry!) really feel they can only be part of something when wearing what strikes me as a very poor interpretation of current “street wear”? To me, wearing a uniform that clearly demonstrated I was part of something unique and special was so much part of the experience. The more it was ‘different’ from anything else I might have the opportunity to wear in the late 60’s the better. A green uniform will always speak of the outdoors whereas that suggesting an over-fondness for peacocks shouts of a somewhat confused agenda to my admittedly reactionary sensibilities. :eek:

Such are the thoughts of a 48-year-old though I readily concede that Scouting is about far more than simply acquiring bushcraft related skills – a mistake I’m happy to acknowledge given the importance of those other life-skills referred to in the programme and none more so than that of “respect” if such has not too been watered-down to the point where it fails to impart how such is so very much a two-way deal.

Cheers!

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Backwoods cooking - with foil and newspaper?

Plus the leader actually called it 'backwards' cooking.

surprised myself by getting most upset about the far from backwoods-sympathetic uniforms of today! Maybe its simply because I’m so ‘into’ camo-type clothing but what is wrong with a standard kaki outfit, and distinguish troops and status by neckwear and badges – preferably LOTS of the latter?

Agreed as well. Though thinking back we would rarely wear our uniform shirt whilst doing proper outdoorsy stuff, we would usually wear a plain one and keep the one with the badges on for 'best'

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
Klenchblaize said:
Maybe its simply because I’m so ‘into’ camo-type clothing but what is wrong with a standard kaki outfit, and distinguish troops and status by neckwear and badges – preferably LOTS of the latter?

Perhaps a beret as well, and maybe replacing those small PL badges with rank chevrons :)

the uniform was changed to move away from a quasi military look, and although over all it's not really suitable for being out in the woods (although the trousers are pretty good) it's not reccomended for that sort of activity either.

Klenchblaize said:
...none more so than that of “respect” if such has not too been watered-down to the point where it fails to impart how such is so very much a two-way deal.

I agree with this - I've told my lot in the past that resepect should be earned - my respect for them AND their respect for me. I wouldn't necessarilly expect them to respect me simply because I'm a leader or an adult; be curteous yes, but I've got to earn their respect by being good at what I'm supposed to be doing, friendy supportive and fair. but I expect the same from them.

D

Deleted member 4605

Klenchblaize said:
surprised myself by getting most upset about the far from backwoods-sympathetic uniforms of today! :( Maybe its simply because I’m so ‘into’ camo-type clothing but what is wrong with a standard kaki outfit, and distinguish troops and status by neckwear and badges – preferably LOTS of the latter?

Then you'll be pleased to hear that we in the Baden-Powell Scouts still wear our khaki outfit, berets, neckers, badges and stripes. Our particular group wear our uniform most of the time, only forgoing it for occasions where rough/warm clothing is required instead, but we always retain our neckers unless it is dangerous to do so.

Klenchblaize said:
Do “young people of today” (sorry!) really feel they can only be part of something when wearing what strikes me as a very poor interpretation of current “street wear”?

We actually have our scouts (and cubs and beavers) practically begging to get their uniforms as they don't feel fully involved unless they do.

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
schwuk said:
We actually have our scouts (and cubs and beavers) practically begging to get their uniforms as they don't feel fully involved unless they do.

As I can well understand having just looked at your website link. Why aren’t ALL cubs and scouts kitted out like this?????????????? I honesty felt a wee bit weepy seeing that group picture and could almost feel the pinch of stocking garters again!

Cheers

Klench
Ps: Just read the following that rather says it all: “We have kept to our values in educating the youth of the values of Scouting that our founder Baden - Powell envisaged. Traditional is not old fashioned, Traditional Scouting is quality Scouting.”

D

Deleted member 4605

Klenchblaize said:
Why aren’t ALL cubs and scouts kitted out like this??????????????

I'll hasten to add that most, but not all, of the BPSA dresses like this. I know of one group that wears hats and shorts rather than berets and trousers, and another group that only wears sweatshirts (although they are very much in the minority compared to the rest of our association).

Klenchblaize said:
honesty felt a wee bit weepy seeing that group picture and could almost feel the pinch of stocking garters again!

If you're referring to the first picture on the main page, then that's actually my Scout group (1st Wigton) with a few of the older Wolf Cubs thrown in for good measure on their way to Switzerland last year.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Klenchblaize said:
As I can well understand having just looked at your website link. Why aren’t ALL cubs and scouts kitted out like this??????????????

That is the uniform of the BP Scouts, not the Scout Association.

Most troops/units dont wear uniform for activities and I can't imagine that my unit would be comfortable with that under any circumstances.

Klenchblaize said:
Why aren’t ALL cubs and scouts kitted out like this?????????????? I]

Because the PARENTS date from an age it was not done to parade around in kaki's (same on the continent, you know).

Here in Belgium, badges and hats (sometime berets for the 11-14 yr olds) are regaining popularity within FOS (the non catholic scout federation). everyone seems to like it (except the immigrant population).

miniac

Forager
Sep 1, 2005
Rainham, Essex, UK
All in a pretty good show, my thoughts though;

Why choose a presenter ,as good as Neil is, That only spent a few mounths as a cub before being "asked to leave"? To present a show about scouting

Some one else above noticed the scout salute/sign thingy.

BP spent time in Africa not India as is was told.

Scouts shake with their left hands this is a sign of trust used by Zulu warriors as they put down there sheilds, I suppose the St george version works aswell.

Lot af chat bout uniform, well I dont like the new one infact my explorers only wear it no more than 4 times a year. And its to expensive to wear in activities such as camping.....

Please remember these are JUST MY VIEWS!!!!!

DarDar

Sep 27, 2006
Ireland
my personal picking point was the quality of the lashings they used on the raft. Never mind the fact they used telegraph poles!!!! Although it has to be said, that the show if seen by possible youth members, would encourage them to think about joining up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE