When looking for tinder and fuel ...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I've never managed to figure out what burns and what doesn't ... synthetics are rubbish but some cotton is awful too ... anyone got any firm ideas on this?
Tony said:
Be wary of what you've been drying though as some lint doesn't take well

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Coloured cloth can be semi fire retardant depending on what is used in the dye. I made char cloth out of a 100% cotton red T-shirt, and after the process I was left with a black/dark red sticky mess at the bottom of the can from the dye.... The buffed cotton on its own was useless as tinder, thats why I turned it into char.... and it worked a treat.
Trial and error seems the only way to go to find what will work and what will not.

:)
Ed

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
We live just outside the Cleveland, Ohio metropolitan area. Our local recycling got very little business UNTIL free waste collection was replaced with a system where one pays according to the volume carried away. Suddenly, the recyling center had to increase the number of containers per week by 12X. Tons of paper, glass, tires, steel and aluminum are collected each week from a population of 8500 - and that, in its own way, is also the bad news.

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
I work in the biggest Corrugated Cardboard Packageing Plant in Europe.
EVERY scrap of waste be it paper or cardboard is shredded, bailed up and sent to a waste merchant. That includes all the trim from the Corrugators and the Converters. Nothing is wasted.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE