When it doesn't go according to plan

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AuldJum

Forager
Sep 18, 2011
Fife
How many times have you set out to do something but the woods just aren't playing ball?

Had an overnight last night, i made some tarp pegs and then knocked them in the ground with a rock, naturally the rock glanced off once and battered my hand.

It took me an hour and a half to rig my tarp, though i set it up in the "cave" way which is great.

Then i find some flint, knocked a blade off and cut my hand. When i was using the flint with my knife to light my fire, i lost my grip on the knife and cut myself again.

Still a great night out though

Share yours?

Jim

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I think we all have days like that, be it in the woods or not. Slow your self when these things start to bite and take a break. Just not yer finger or leg :rolleyes:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
On a trip back in March we arrived at a second campsite just as it was getting dark, I messed about with my hammock for half an hour and then realised the trees were too wide for my straps. I had a bivvy bag with me so proceded to try and get a tarp setup over the top, the wind was so strong that every time I moved from one peg to the next it kept getting blown down again. After giving it up as a bad job I went to sit with the other lads under the group tarp, two minutes later the whole thing got flattened by another gust.

I ended up sleeping in the back of my car that night, not a happy chappy

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Ha ha, nice one! Hope you had some plasters...I spent a few days in South Wales about 3 years ago and brought a hurricane lantern. Spent ages prepping and cooking a lovely stew and bannock I sometimes do, took a mouthful and spat the lot out! The turps had leaked into my veg for the stew and that was day one. I was hungry by the end! On the same trip I had a milbank bag that hadn't been run through the wash enough and took hours to fill a canteen. I also had a stick of salami that was sealed but went rancid. Still shudder at the thought of the turpentatties! It was still a great weekend, I'd do it all again tomorrow like every other non perfect trip I've had out.

marsbar

Sep 12, 2011
south west
I took the dog kids and wife out in the fields a couple of weeks ago for a picnic. I thought it would be great to set up the tarp as it was looking a little grey. Within half hour it broke into a thunder storm the kids dog and wife were loving the shelter that clever dad built. It was a lesson to me that small streams are formed even in fields. The wife and kids thought it very funny that my backside acted as a great dam!!

Good fun though!!

cheers

Gary

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
After a long days hike I make stakes for my tarp, snapping short lengths from a dead branch. I was pushing one down into the ground with the sole of my shoe (as I normally do) and it went clean through the sole of my boot...

Out hammocking in gale force winds, after spending ages getting my tarp pinned down - at least half an hour with an extra 4 guylines - I go away from camp to take care of something and when I come back all the pegs have been ripped out, and my tarp has furled around it's ridgeline with all the guylines (10 of em) have tangled into each other to such an extent its a lump bigger than my forearm of multicoloured cord. Must of took me another half hour to get the damn lines apart..

Warming my **** to the fire, my hat falls off the back of my head onto the fire. Didn't realise until it had started to smoke and burn on the coals. Wasn't very happy about that one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE