What's your favourite tree?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tanto

May 29, 2005
Sweden
The pine has a special place for me. One of the first smells when you enter the forest (where i live atleast). Trusty and full of secrets of a distant past. Makes me feel like im in the middle of an old folktale with trolls and other beeings. Flashbacks of making barkboats and exploring the forest as a child.

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
I'll agree with the pine as well. I LOVE the smell of a pine forest. And, over here, I can see why the pilgrims shunned the woods. A pine forest is DARK. Scary looking (but, hey, I aint afraid of no boogeyman!).
I have to say though, I have a love/hate relationship with mountain laurel (technically a bush, but, they grow pretty big). They are pretty, when they flower it is breathtaking, but, if you have to walk through it, I swear they grow hands & hold on to every piece of gear or clothing it can.

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
Beech for tinder and beautiful grain, Birch for fire and Pine for scent. But I think most in the UK that have similar interests to us would put the Oak as the real king.

black_kissa

Tenderfoot
May 8, 2006
N/A
It is the old Cherry in my backyard.

With this post I'd like to honor it because it has done so many things for me...
- It showed me that this was the house I should buy, by making me feel drawn to the garden so very strongly.
- It lightens my heart every year with its beautiful blossoms.
- It has provided me and my friends (including the birds) with so many delicious cherries.
- It provides shade on the hottest of days.
- It has been a great teacher to my son; he has been climbing it since the age of two or three, and it has taught him to check his own feelings as well as his surroundings before venturing out on a branch...

cherry_tree.jpg

My son picking cherries

Live and Love,
Anneke

edispilff

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
between the trees
The smell of a Douglas Fir forest just after the rain.
The smell of fresh cut Cedar or Juniper on a hot summer day.
The soft feel of Birch on a knife handle.
The flavor of Oak and Alder smoke engulfing a fresh kill.
The 'cuts-like-butter' fire starting ability of dried Aspen.
The savoury fruits of all berry and citrus producing trees.
.. and even the pesky stream Willow's versatility

edispilff

Goliath

Forager
Jun 19, 2006
Netherlands
Mine is Birch. It's good for a lot of things.

Plus, my last name is Berkenbosch which, translated to English, is something like Birchforest :p

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
apple - crab (not that there are many 100% true about now) or feral cultivated

Lovely gnarley tree when aged, pretty blossom, apples themselve of course, cider, useful bark and excellent wood for making things, burns very well with a pleasing odour. Also full of wildlife

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE