What's your best homemade or commercial bug repellant?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Survive

Nov 3, 2011
Canada - eh?
Been trying to pick the brains of those who are regulars in the woods...

We are getting into the season where bugs seem to be the top of the food chain, so was wondering what you guys use to deter them?

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Either the crushed leaves of Macropiper Excelcum (Kawakawa or the NZ Pepper tree) as a field expedient insect repellant but only use the leaves the bugs have munched...

If I'm going somewhere really buggy then I use Bushmans insect repellant which has a high DEET content and keep em away...

HTH

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
In the UK I always use Avon Skin so soft
Make sure you get the right one, Skin so soft is the name of a range, only one of which keeps mozzies away

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Elder leaf brew works as an insecticide, wonder if you could wear it??

Sent from my HTC Explorer using Tapatalk 2

a combination of wilmas nordic summer, pipe smoke and a constant diet of marmite on toast for breakfast works for me in the UK
abroad its DEET all the way.
i'm going to experiment with elder sap/juice this year see how it works as i have been told tis effective (can cause allergic reactions though so doa small sensitivity test first on a tiny bit of skin)

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
In the UK I always use Avon Skin so soft Make sure you get the right one

Anything that contains a decent strength citronella ingredient (as this does) seems to deter the little swines.

You can buy super strength citronella bottles from the high street outlets and mix it to your own liking, the mozzies etc. don't like it up 'em!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
a combination of wilmas nordic summer, pipe smoke and a constant diet of marmite on toast for breakfast works for me in the UK
abroad its DEET all the way.
i'm going to experiment with elder sap/juice this year see how it works as i have been told tis effective (can cause allergic reactions though so doa small sensitivity test first on a tiny bit of skin)

Another vote for Wilmas nordic summer, the mosi's around these parts do not like it at all, I wear it when harvesting our Apricots, my parents in law don't and are bitten half to death.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
First line of defence is vitamin b12 rich foods for me; Marmite and wheatgerm and foods containing yeast.

I also eat a lot of garlic which repels insects.

I use Deet spray and this always works.

I don't know if Wilmas Nordic summer works on me but I'm going to get some when my stash of DEET runs out. It smells divine; the smell of campfires and the woods.

Midgie.net head nets and smoking tobacco are also favoured defences.

Armed with this lot, I dont get troubled by bloodsuckers.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Marmite. As vile a miasmal concoction as I've ever found reason to put in my mouth.

A great pity that it works so well for me :yuck: .

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Bounce tumble drying sheets apparently work well. They could be decorated or cut into nice patterns and hung around your person.
Just imagine pretty snowflakes attached to a good beard. That'd look dapper.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE