Whats the oldest gun you use ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

silva

Jun 11, 2012
Welshpool
Hi,
Went out the other evening and it was swarming with rabbits, as I haven't hunted this ground for a couple of years now. There were full grown rabbits popping up 10 to 15 yds away. If it ever stops raining, I might do some plinking to get my eye in and try a bit of open sight airgun hunting with my old Bsa underlever. Any other hunters out there using vintage kit ?

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Oldest one I shoot regularly is 1947. Oldest ones I own are 1807 and 1795 :). Non of those are hunting kit though.

For that - an old 1920s single barrel is probably the oldest I hunt with.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Not massively old, but still have a sharps Innova I bought from new back in the 60/70s along with a basic 4X scope. Dug it out a while ago, and still incredibly accurate - 4 pumps gets near legal limit and no recoil of course.

Actually bought it from Manchester airguns on - I think - Oldham road. Doing a bit of gentle browsing, they asked me if I'd like a try of the Innova on their indoor range. 1 shot freestanding, dead-centre in the bull. No option then but to buy it! Flukes can be expensive............

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
I've got a BSA Meteor and still use it every other weekend, used to be my granddad's, lovely and simple piece of kit, does however have that annoying CRACK when you pull the trigger :lmao:

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I think the oldest one I use must be about 7 years old now and I broke the trigger back in 2008 but rigged up a homemade replacement which works just fine. It's rather like one of these:

cox-400ml-silicone-sealant-caulking-mastic-gun-h-duty-244-p.jpg

But one of these has been whispering to me when I am feeling vulnerable, somehow I have resisted as they look a bit too much like buying something that is just begging to go wrong. I'm very much in the K.I.S.S. camp when it comes to mastic guns
DC547.jpg

Sorry for the :jacked: posting

silva

Jun 11, 2012
Welshpool
I think the oldest one I use must be about 7 years old now and I broke the trigger back in 2008 but rigged up a homemade replacement which works just fine. It's rather like one of these:

But one of these has been whispering to me when I am feeling vulnerable, somehow I have resisted as they look a bit too much like buying something that is just begging to go wrong. I'm very much in the K.I.S.S. camp when it comes to mastic guns
DC547.jpg

Sorry for the :jacked: posting

Hmm, that must be why the french never win any wars !

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
My first firearm was a Stevens Model 73 youth rifle in .22 (Short, Long and Long Rifle). It was a Christmas present from my mom. I take it on a squirrel hunt once each year for sentimental reasons. It is the oldest that I hunt with.

Gordy

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Theoben Scirocco of unknown age but over 20 years I think. Not used that often since being retired for my BSA Scorpion T10 (which I think is the dogs whatnots!)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The oldest I still hunt with is a single shot 22 Daddy got me in 1965. Oldest I own is his Daddy's 20 gauge Winchester Model 12 from the 1920s (I hunted with it until the early 1970s)

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA

DC547.jpg

It's always about the right "trigger job"!

I enjoy your humor, Aaron! I just got this huge grin when I read you post, thanks!

Gordy

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Oldest air rifle is a FWB 124 Sport, about 30 years old, had it from new. Oldest shotgun is around the turn of the century, made by a gunsmith called Hodgson, nice 30 inch barreled 12 bore side-by-side game gun, used once or twice most seasons.

Dave

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
Muzzle loading Enfield. Looks ancient but is actually about 10-15 years old. I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning ........................

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Oldest air rifle is a FWB 124 Sport, about 30 years old, had it from new. Oldest shotgun is around the turn of the century...

LOL. You might want to be more specific. I knew what you meant and I suspect so do most others on here but the younger generation might think you meant the turn of this century (although I suppose for them THAT is old)

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
Hey lister,check for a puff of smoke when you fire as that crack could mean it dieseling.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE