What would Oetzi do?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Before he chose any of the modern tools, clothes or equipment, Oetzi would telephone his publicity agent and have him agree an Oetzi endorsement fee and arrange for photographers to be present..:)

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
would like to think all of the above but probably a hot bath central heated room pack of smokes a beer and a copy of playboy and wonder why the women dont have hairy legs anymore :rolleyes:

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
My baby isn't 2 yet he watches disney on YouTube via a tablet and picks his own cartoons saying goof or quack quack before he touches the little preview image and picks his cartoon. So Oetzi wouldn't struggle for long .

Paddytray .;

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
He would probably just die of an illness that he has no immunity to - as do most people who encounter 'western' or 'modern' cultures. A prime example is that family who lived in the wilderness for years in Russia.

Did you know that they discovered Oetzi had lymes disease and is now the first recorded case of it. As a fellow sufferer/victim I say poor Oetzi.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I think he should have a dog, for obvlious reasons like fetching waterfowl that he shot, chasing after shot up animals, protection but also company.

Buggane

Jul 30, 2012
Isle of Mann/ Liverpool
I don't think he'd have been to keen on our modern day boots tbh. But cookware, steel knives, axes, broad heads, arrows, bows, containers and rope would all be very useful to him.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Alvin Toffler advanced the theory that the impact of the new on the person who had had no contact with modernity in his "Future Shock", 1970, would be almost more than they could bear but I always thought he was wrong. People can adapt almost instantly, as would Oetzi. Toffler refers to the Indian (North American, his usage) looking bereft into a store window and claimed that it was because the futuristic goods shown were outside his ken.

This was rubbish, the window shopper was not equipped by his economic position to take advantage of the goods on show and probably suffered various other sorts of discrimination. After all a totally unequipped baby can be a fully modern "electronic" citizen in, what?, three years.

i agree. This is the issue I have with archaeological type investigations. I always get the impression it is generally thought these people were stupid by today's standards. But I see no reason why they would have been any less adaptable/ intelligent than us.

Andy

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
He wouldnt need anything; hes got one of the best museums in Europe to live in, after all.

(But having the Ice queen mummy move in might improve it, or perhaps the pick of failed Everest ladies.)

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
There is a book called Hunting With the Bow and Arrow. It records the interaction between modern people and the last Yahi tribesman who had had no previous contact with westerners. It is practically this same situation. I'm pretty sure the book is available on the forum, but you can also get it here: http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2010/07/hunting-with-bow-and-arrow-by-saxton.html

Wasn't there an assumption that Ishi could be put wherever his mentors wanted. Did they try a crash course in contemporary civilisation and attempt to get him a job and somewhere to live away from athropologists?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE