What was your first tent?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
My first tent (back in the late 80's)I don't remember the name, but it was sized:
"1.5 man"
who knows what the .5 meant? perhaps a fat man or a slim man and his dog?

anyway it had rip stop nylon, an inner and was ok, looked sort of hoop bivi bag shaped(and sized).
on the second trip a few years later (a scout camp) the main hoop split laterally and turned to a glassfibrey splintery black mess, I fixed it with electric tape(...yeah, not that great) meant to fix it with Vango aluminium poles but the poles would have cost more than half the tent, so it never got fixed it went...somewhere, I don't remember.

But, My second tent was a US Canvas Pup tent, with wooden poles and no floor, and was faaaar better!
I'd happily use one today.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Dad got me an army tent when I was about five, used it in the garden for years during the summer months as a 'den' for me and the gang :)

Trev

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
Northwich Cheshire
Always had canvas dens and bases but ! , First actual tent was a family tent . Until we got it holidays were day trips to Rhyl ( my Dad worked on the permanent way ) . It was a 12 man canvas frame monstrosity and we loved it . Forced my dad to take more than one day off and we went all over Wales with it and the trailer my Dad had to make to put it in .
Good times .
Cheers , Trev .

11binf

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Phx. Arizona U.S.A
when i was very young ,the first proper tent i had was(like many of you folks) U.S. Army shelter halfs...they were the early button type not snaps and i used to pitch them in the back yard and camp and play Army...i think dad ended up using them as tarps for painting etc..a shame, now there collector items...vince g. 11B Inf..

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
First tent I bought was in the late 70s, and a Vango Force 10 Mk 5 - truly a bullet-proof tent. This one had the single front pole (and rear as well? I forget) - not like the ones you get today. Did lots of winter bike rallies where they were THE tent for the enthusiast. Am sorely tempted to get another one, as I gave my old one away years ago and still miss it!

My first tent was two Wendy houses taped together! Ha ha, I had forgotten about that until just now!
I can't remember the make of my first real tent but it was a small orange/brown ridge tent. It had a zip on the back corner and you could lift the side up to make a small awning.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
This one

2012_0605tracks0478.jpg

Bought in 79/80 ( can't remember which) & I'm still using it.

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
2nd hand Phoenix phortress, bought off my scout leader. Fantastic tent, gave it away when i was misguidedly lured away by a geodesic Quasar. Wish i still had it :(

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
My first was a VauDe Hogan which I bought about 18 years ago and am still using. I have other larger tents so it only gets used a couple of times a year now. VauDe tents may not be the cheapest but when they last like this it is great value for money.

Here we were doing an overnighter last January.
30012011138.jpg

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
My first real tent was a 2 man canvas Bivvy with wooden poles from when i was in the Army Cadet Force in the late 70's. They were selling them off cheap at the local T.A. detachment open day, But a few of us got them for free, Before that it was a canvas sheet thrown over rope.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Wedge shaped white cotton called Junior something. Two wooden poles and no sewn in groundsheet. Just big enough for one or two squashed. Fine mist came in when it rained but I loved that tent I got when I was twelve and used for over forty years. Mildewed and allegedly smelly it was thrown out four years ago.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Bukta Egyptian cotton, single skin, no groundsheet got as a 9th birthday present in 1950. I was still using it with various modifications eg home made flysheet, when my wife and I did a hippy tour through Europe to Crete and back in 1966. Funnily enough I got it out of the attic yesterday along with my old Robert Saunders when clearing for some building work. I might unpack it and set it up, but I'm not ready for the disappointment of finding a rotten sheet like a mummy's shroud.

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
2 x Lichfield Combat 2's - I learnt the lesson about drying your tent out thoroughly before storing it the hard way. Twice ! :rolleyes: (I still have the flysheets)

joe.ford

Forager
Apr 8, 2004
Essex
My first tent was.....................

An Argos special
pro-action-6-man-tent.jpg

It has a whole 1200 HH and served me well for 2 years, until one wet trip to wales. Apparently it dumped a months worth of rain in 1 night, and I awoke to find we had an indoor swimming pool:rolleyes:

But the set did include 2 single airbeds and 1 double (the red and blue rubber cotton jobs, that are really comfy) and 2 single and one double square sleeping bags.

Tent is still in the loft as spares, was thinking of turning it into a sail for the canoe:p

Airbeds and sleeping bags are still in use and going strong, they turned out to be the best bit of the buy:lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE