What tools do I need for leatherwork?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Hi Folks

I'm growing more interested in having a go at a bit of leatherwork, simple sheaths for my tools etc. Please could you advise on where I should start? What tools, any good books etc

Many thanks

Leo

What I would suggest is going on a course. I found it very informative and helpful.
I'm sure a member of this forum local to you wouldn't mind giving up a day to teach you. Have a ask around. :)

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
depends on what you want to make - for something simple all you need is the leather, a sharp knife, an awl, some artificial sinue and a needle

if you buy pre dyed leather its even easier

leon-1

Talking to people and doing shows is probably the way to go, would it be possible for you to meet up with Dougster at a local meet?? He's a decent bloke and his leather work is pretty good.

If you could have made it to the Cornish RV over the Easter weekend I would of given a few tips, unfortunately that one won't be on for another year now, the next event where they teach that side of life is probably going to be the bushmoot. Beyond that actually getting hands on would be at a local meet.

If you're ever in Devon and I am not away working you'd always be welcome to drop in.

Beyond that keep it simple start with very basic things and learn saddle stitch if you're working with thicker hard leathers. You can have a good looking design, but if your stitching ain't right then the whole thing will look pants and it'll bug the hell out of you after a while.

Talking to people and doing shows is probably the way to go, would it be possible for you to meet up with Dougster at a local meet?? He's a decent bloke and his leather work is pretty good.

If you could have made it to the Cornish RV over the Easter weekend I would of given a few tips, unfortunately that one won't be on for another year now, the next event where they teach that side of life is probably going to be the bushmoot. Beyond that actually getting hands on would be at a local meet.

If you're ever in Devon and I am not away working you'd always be welcome to drop in.

Beyond that keep it simple start with very basic things and learn saddle stitch if you're working with thicker hard leathers. You can have a good looking design, but if your stitching ain't right then the whole thing will look pants and it'll bug the hell out of you after a while.

Thanks Leon, very kind of you. I'm not looking to run before I can walk, so simple is most definitely best and most likely to progress over time. So just to pick up some basics to get me going would be great. My wife and I do a lot of weekend work between us and a young family have their place for the read! My time is evenings after the bedtime stories have been read... assuming a bottle of wine has not been opened!!

I don't know Dougster, is he Devon/Cornwall too?

Leo

depends on what you want to make - for something simple all you need is the leather, a sharp knife, an awl, some artificial sinue and a needle

if you buy pre dyed leather its even easier

Thanks Corso. It will be simple. Probably replacement sheaths for my carving knives and when I'm feeling a little more adventurous a replacement guard for my Gransfors carving axe which expired.

Leo

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
simples my middle name :D

I usualy stick to slip pouches to carry my stuff in pockets or bags etc but I

made this one the other day with a scrap of leather and the tools I mentioned

simple pocket knife sheath with a drop so it sits below my ruck waist belt

P1000796_zpse22b4242.jpg

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
its one of the best things about using pre dyed leather I realy struggle to get a decent look with veg tan - bought this stuff from the identity store, its quite soft and plyable so is quite forgiving.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE