What to hang a hammock from

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

boots12

Tenderfoot
Jan 29, 2006
West Yorkshire
I've got the chance to hang the hammock from the group buy,as i have made some room in the garden.
SO
What type of posts square/round,fixed in earth,concret or metal clamp.
how deep into the ground/how high the posts, how far apart and what alinement to the compass as this will be put up in yorkshire .
I think i've asked all the right questions :rolleyes:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
It is the norm to use two trees about 12 to 15 feet apart. Once you are in your hammock, you will be putting something in the region of a 600kg side force onto the uprights (hence the need for healthy trees and not dead ones). You can use posts in your garden but they'd need to be very strong and you'll have to put a bracing piece aross the top to stop them colapsing inwards.
You could always make a stand just like Risk... http://www.imrisk.com/hammockstand/hammockstand.htm

ATB

Ogri the trog

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
A couple of these would be favourite....

lone_tree.jpg

;)

boots12

Tenderfoot
Jan 29, 2006
West Yorkshire
I've got one of them, but what i was thinking of i.e.
Ratio 1:3 in the ground/sticking out.
Don,t use concret as it's the worst thing to put wood into, is that true

B

brasst

pressure treated timber is normally ok with concrete emphasis on pressure treated and not normally treated

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE