What to buy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
right you lot, where do you find decent bushcraft gear in boot sales, everyone i have went to is more like a market place in mogadishu after the black hawk went down.

Down my way all the goodies are taken as sellers open up first thing.

I was selling once years ago and all my old fishing gear,air rifle,binoculars,and old saks were gone within minutes.
Along with the other stuff I made c. £400 clear that day after expenses!

Had to practically pull punters out of the back of the van.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
My thoughts would be for you to establish what you are planning to do first? day trips then no need for sleeping gear, do you need and axe from the outset? this type of thing, i have built my kit up depending upon what my plans are, just a thought to save you buying some gear that others use that you may not???

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hello, and welcome to BcUK :D

All the advice is sound, but sometimes getting to actually see the stuff in use can be better yet. If you can get yourself to Morch's on the 17th, 18, and 19th (see this thread)
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33962
or to the Crannog on the weekend of the 10th to the 12th of this month, you'd be made welcome and have a chance to see the stuff others chose and probably (oh they will, we love showing our latest shinies :eek: :D ) get a chance to talk with them too.

cheers,
Toddy

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
That's a good idea Mary,

You're not far from either in Johnstone mate.

If transport is a prob' I could pick you up at Ayr train station for Morchs' meet.

Tom.

charlesr

Sep 27, 2008
Johnstone, scotland
Well all this is pretty overwhelming. I did start Bushcraft and join this site to get out and about more and I do love the fact that there are offers to get out to meets and make new friends already, however I think it may just be a little to quick. I would either have to turn up with a polly bag and a bit of string as my kit or ask everyone to give me my birthday and christmas the now. neither seems like a good idea. Oh yeah and just to round it all off, the reason i started bushcraft was that i work on computers and dont get out much and my lung collapsed and i ended up in hospital for months and thought jesus i need to change my ways. but its too early, i aint quite fully recovered yet. So Thanks for the invites, it bodes well for the future and with this kind of interest i believe it will be easier to keep my interest burning strong. Thanks all.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Well all this is pretty overwhelming. I did start Bushcraft and join this site to get out and about more and I do love the fact that there are offers to get out to meets and make new friends already, however I think it may just be a little to quick. I would either have to turn up with a polly bag and a bit of string as my kit or ask everyone to give me my birthday and christmas the now. neither seems like a good idea. Oh yeah and just to round it all off, the reason i started bushcraft was that i work on computers and dont get out much and my lung collapsed and i ended up in hospital for months and thought jesus i need to change my ways. but its too early, i aint quite fully recovered yet. So Thanks for the invites, it bodes well for the future and with this kind of interest i believe it will be easier to keep my interest burning strong. Thanks all.

Yep, join the ranks of a good % of the forum.

There's room for two in my tent or I can supply an extra tarp,sleep bag,bivi bag etc...

Most of us suffer from some ailment,be it mental or physical,(nothing a good fag or dram can't help;) ),well I speak for myself anyroads:p

All you need to bring is youself really,I'm not kidding btw, if you want to come to the meet at Morchs' just say, I'm sure you'd love it. Pm me if you like.

Tom.

Lodian

Nomad
May 23, 2007
Peterhead, Aberdeenshire
Hi I am quite new to the site and to Bushcraft. Well when I say new I mean new to practicing It, as I had previously been a fervent watcher of all things Bushcraft but had never seemed to get round to practising the art.

My question is what to buy on limited funds. So I would love to know what all the experienced members would advise as to what is most important and in what order I should build up my gear. My birthday is coming up and so is christmas so its a great time to build up a little on the resources.

Thanks.

Cha.

If youre going to do it, do it right.

Welcome to the forum mate - i used to live in Johnstone ,chestnut place, Im guessing your using the bluebell woods?

Nice enough forest a few good spots for camping.

Get your self a Mora,A billy can or set of messtins, if you can't buy a book use your library or comb through this forum.
If you send me your address i can give you one of my sharpening stones just to keep your knife in check.

I also got an old poncho but ill need to get back to you on that one with look it out though.

Lodian

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
So I'd suggest from personal experience:

1. Listen to the guy's on this forum, most of them really know what their talking about, if you filter out the knives, gb axes and other shiny toys *need more shiny toys*
2. First aid kit
3. Frosts mora or if you don't want a fixed blade a opinel
4. Spend the extra and get the thicker Army style, rather than scout firesteel. Learning you'll wear the scout one out in no time. Or get a couple of disposable lighters.
5. Highlander bag (cheap and reliable)
6. See the thread on "waylands" hobo stoves or visit http://lakelandbushcraft.com and look at his meths burning stove.
7. Gelert camping gear (NOT TENTS) is good and cheap but is also nice and reliable. I've been using one of their inflatable mats for about 3 years now and its still going strong.

Mostly though get out and enjoy the land/water or whatever if you want to meet up pm me at somepoint.

Edit: Morrisons and Asda are great for containers for billies etc.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Good luck with your choices, don't go for typical kit choices as often described here, if you don't want to. A ferro rod for 12 quid, or a box of matches for a few pence? You're starting out so money is tight. Nick a pan from home, it may be heavier but it'll work just as well and you save a few pence until you can afford a billy. Can't afford a sleeping bag and a bergen? Try looking into making a Roycroft Pack Fram with timbers from your local woodland, the bag is made from your blankets and poncho so your bedding and pack is one item. A knife is only necessary if you want to carve stuff, a simple folding penknife can do that too though, and open wrappers, etc. Your clothing is more important, especially up where you are! Good warm gear, waterproofs (poncho doubles as a shelter and pack cover) stout boots and a head mossie net would be first rate choices. Most can be gotten cheap from surplus stores. There isn't any need to spend masses of money on kit, although you may do in the end once you get into the subject a bit more.

The things you cannot buy, unless going to one of the Schools, is your skill sets. I'm afraid reading up on them, practising and getting tuition from friendly folks at the meet will be the only way to get those squared away. That's half the fun though!

As always, my opinions on this have probably changed again! Ask me this question every few weeks and my answer would differ each time.

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
Good luck with your choices, don't go for typical kit choices as often described here, if you don't want to. A ferro rod for 12 quid, or a box of matches for a few pence? You're starting out so money is tight. Nick a pan from home, it may be heavier but it'll work just as well and you save a few pence until you can afford a billy. Can't afford a sleeping bag and a bergen? Try looking into making a Roycroft Pack Fram with timbers from your local woodland, the bag is made from your blankets and poncho so your bedding and pack is one item. A knife is only necessary if you want to carve stuff, a simple folding penknife can do that too though, and open wrappers, etc. Your clothing is more important, especially up where you are! Good warm gear, waterproofs (poncho doubles as a shelter and pack cover) stout boots and a head mossie net would be first rate choices. Most can be gotten cheap from surplus stores. There isn't any need to spend masses of money on kit, although you may do in the end once you get into the subject a bit more.

The things you cannot buy, unless going to one of the Schools, is your skill sets. I'm afraid reading up on them, practising and getting tuition from friendly folks at the meet will be the only way to get those squared away. That's half the fun though!

As always, my opinions on this have probably changed again! Ask me this question every few weeks and my answer would differ each time.

Wise words!

Another thing to be aware of, is that just about everyone here, views bushcraft from a different angle. so peoples advice will often be based on their own interpretation and how such fits in to their own lifestyles and activities. Some will see bushcraft as an end in itself, whereas others will see such skills as simply an enhancement to other things. Some are into raw survival, others luxurious camping. Some will recommend the most hightech equipment, others are akin to historical reinactors, Some are naturalists content with watching nature, others will want to shoot or trap everything that moves (did i get that right? get confused between naturalists and naturists, tho perhaps both are present :naughty: )

Before you buy anything, i would think about your own stance and interests, and what you want out of bushcraft. Some folk will tell you that a cheap knife will do until you can afford something decent. but if youre only ever gonna use your knife for carving pot hangers and firesticks, then a cheap knife will always be enough. Other folk will tell you that you need a hammock and tarp, but if youre main interest is learning survival skills, such an instant shelter defeats the purpose. Some will recommend spending more on a rucksack, but if youre walking from carpark to campsite, a bin liner will do. you see where im coming from?

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I would say that as a keen beginner whatever you do buy cheap and don't listen too much to hype or over keen salespeople in outdoor shops trying to prise your well-earned money out of you, all you need to begin with can be bought cheaply in army surplus shops or even bargain high street shops or charity/car boot sales. Most people experiment with different gear until they finally have '''the right gear for them''' and rarely end up with the same gear they started out with, in some ways that's the fun part all that learning when you are fresh and keen, as you become more experienced your own needs of equipment will become apparent. A mora clipper knife for example is an excellent choice and is less than a tenner, some bushcraft courses issue these as standard. Most importantly have a great time and enjoy yourself whatever kit you have, personal experience is the best provider of answers to your own needs, have fun progressing and best wishes.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Yep, join the ranks of a good % of the forum.

There's room for two in my tent or I can supply an extra tarp,sleep bag,bivi bag etc...

Most of us suffer from some ailment,be it mental or physical,(nothing a good fag or dram can't help;) ),well I speak for myself anyroads:p

All you need to bring is youself really,I'm not kidding btw, if you want to come to the meet at Morchs' just say, I'm sure you'd love it. Pm me if you like.

Tom.

I can lend you some kit as well mate so between Barn Owl and myself we should have you well kitted out for the weekend like the rest of us no problem, also as Toddy said we all like to talk about our kit shiny or otherwise, but the good thing is at a meet you can actually see and feel the kit as well. I'ts also fun and no stress, you can take part in any activities with the folks or like me, just be happy sitting round the fire. I like you am recovering from a long illness and am far from fit yet. Everybody will make sure you are well looked after and we have people well qualified for medical cover as well. You would be most welcome believe me. There will also most likely be the opportunity to buy some kit cos some of us bring our excess stuff to swap or sell, usually at a very good price, ask any of the guys at the last meet. Go you know you want to.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Oh yeah and just to round it all off, the reason i started bushcraft was that i work on computers and dont get out much and my lung collapsed and i ended up in hospital for months and thought jesus i need to change my ways. but its too early, i aint quite fully recovered yet.

I went for a walk recently up a hill. Three old men trailed at the rear. Me, Mesquite and one "Mors Kochanski". On the way back I had the unsurpassed joy of scrumping some apples with Mors :D

You are in good company - I've never been to a meet where there aren't at least a few "physical wrecks" to keep me company - and one or two strapping men who offer to hump my pack too!

Red

Still Waters

Nomad
Dec 20, 2007
North yorkshire
charlesr

In the bushy world theres a lot of people who preffer to trade items rather than buy them

Im one of those types

so what ill do is trade you a brand new frost mora knife for some photos to be posted when you make your first feather sticks
Go down your libary and borrow a bushcraft book or two

Local libarys need supporting

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE