What sleeping bag???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 20, 2006
Weston-super Mare
I am looking to upgrade my sleeping bag i currently have the Vango untralight 900 this has served me well but is now getting a bit worn and tatty. I need a sleeping bag with a fairly good comfort rating for the UK, i was wondering if anyone knew of a sleeping bag that was lightweight, warm , compact and not to expensive. It would be great if anyone could help me with this.
Thanks very much
Dave

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I have just bought a new bag from Alpkit (Pipedream). I can't fault it or their price or their ethos... It is well made, a good price and comes with various stuff sacks for in use or just being put away in a cupboard. It is down, mind, and this may not suit everybody. I intend using this on my boat and on trips in woodland. I sleep in a bivvy and TRY not to get wet. It packs down better than my old Australian bag which is now 16 years old and VERY smelly :eek: :D Have a look at their website. There is also a lot of info on this site re bags too. Swyn

leon-1

It's a good question mate, there are quite a few manufacturers that come to mind, but they are not always cheap.

Nanok have a reasonably large following on here, but they are not cheap.
Mountain Equipment TDS are good bags.
You could look for a grade1 quality ex mil 58 Pattern bag, but they may be getting a little difficult to get now (they are down bags).
SnugPak make some compact bags, but there seems to be some argument over the temperature ratings that they have (it depends whether you sleep hot or cold).
A friend of mine picked up a Karrimor sleeping bag on offer for £30 and says it is too warm for him (you will not find him out and about after Sept 1st), but they were selling them off in Millets so it may be worth having a look about.

I am sure that some of the others will come up with other suggestions. I hope it gives you some ideas.

ed dickson

Feb 7, 2006
herefordshire
daveswan11 said:
thanks for all the help i think that i am goin to go for a new Karrimor sleeping bag from millets. :)

Just bought a karrimor F-1000 and a StormSheild fleece liner from Millets for £56. Bargain! i'm 6 foot 4 inches and it's fits like a glove, with room to spare in the bag! great stuff. will try it next weekend or weekend after, let you know how it fairs.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
lightweight, warm , compact and not to expensive

That’s an almost impossible combination; you'll have to choose from the following compromises:

Light weight, compact, not too expensive = Not warm

Not too expensive, warm = not compact or lightweight

Compact, warm, light weight = very expensive

Let us know which compromise suits you best and what temperature range you intend using it in

Feb 20, 2006
Weston-super Mare
thanks, the range that would suit mne best is the Light weight, compact, not too expensive = Not warm because i will only need maximum -7 and that is extream as i will be mostly sleeping indoors but i have to have a good one for the times when i am outside, this is mainly when im backpacking so is is good to have a lightweight bag i am willing to spend a bit of money though upto about £80. thanks everyone else for your help :) :) Dave.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
dont know weather im to late for an idea but there is a place called www.magic-mountain.co.uk and they do bags aswell as other stuff its mainly seconds or end of line stock when i was there they had down/synthetic bags some had small tears so depending on your diy skills phone before buying. hope that helps.
weekender

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE