What knot to tie a tarp?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
There will be lots of opinions about this I'm sure but the best knot is the one you can tie in the dark when the wind is pulling at your tarp and the rain is running down your neck.

I have a slight preference for a knot I can untie later under the same conditions. :D

P@ul

Forager
Jan 30, 2006
East Sussex
James_m246 said:
Thats the best way of securing guys to a tarp?
Is a couple of half hitches adequate or is there a better, more secure way?

I use the bowline knot and leave the line attached to the tarp when I pack it away, Just my preference though as Wayland said there will be alot of different opinions.

P@ul

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I use tensioners - run the guys through the tarp loops and tie them off (using a round turn and two half hitches) on the tensioners, and I leave 'em on. That way all you have to do is peg out the line and tighten it up. For the sake of a few grammes, not using guy tensioners just seems perverse.

If I want to add additional guys (say in high winds) then I do much the same, only using a tautline hitch instead of a guy tensioner.

By using the tarp end of the guyline as the adjustable point, rather than the peg end, you can adjust the tension whilst still under your tarp.

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I tend to use a slipped knot or one that can be easily undone if I want to move the guylines about. If they go through a webbing loop I'd use a slipped sheet bend, or through a hole a slipped figure of eight.

P@ul

Forager
Jan 30, 2006
East Sussex
gregorach said:
By using the tarp end of the guyline as the adjustable point, rather than the peg end, you can adjust the tension whilst still under your tarp.

Now thats a good idea :)

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
It's also a good idea if your guylines are permanently attached, as you only need to tie the adjustable knot once and use a simple knot like a clovehitch or whatever for attaching the loose end to a peg or anchor.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
gregorach said:
I use tensioners - run the guys through the tarp loops and tie them off (using a round turn and two half hitches) on the tensioners, and I leave 'em on. That way all you have to do is peg out the line and tighten it up. For the sake of a few grammes, not using guy tensioners just seems perverse.

I do the same - the single end of the lines have a double figure of eight in them for the loop that goes over the peg.

Other advantage of having it this way round is that if you need to tie up to a tree rather than peg its a bit easier.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I use an anchor hitch so if one of the pegs comes out and the tarp flogs it will not come undone. Try and find a wayward green or black line at night even with a torch! The important lines are left attatched so I can put it up by feel. Others can be attatched to windward if necessary using the same hitch. It is like a round turn and two half hitches but the first hitch goes through the round turn. If done 'big' is easy in the dark! And quick!
Swyn.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I would say, use what ever works for you.....I don't know many knots, but I get by ok (thank goodness for the bottle opener on my sak, great for unpicking knots).
On tarps I use a half hitch then a slip knot,(I think thats what they are called). Works for me.....

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Wayland said:
There will be lots of opinions about this I'm sure but the best knot is the one you can tie in the dark when the wind is pulling at your tarp and the rain is running down your neck.

A very True Statment

Yet one more fantsic tip that is so simple....why oh why did I not think of it?????????

OldBaldGuy

Aug 6, 2004
California, USA
"...By using the tarp end of the guyline as the adjustable point, rather than the peg end, you can adjust the tension whilst still under your tarp..."

Yes, a great idea. Been doing it for a long time. I like to tie to a stake (depending on the construction of the stake of course) with a clove hitch. Then, assuming that your tarp has grommets, or something else to run a line thru, I tie the upper end with a tautline hitch, that way I can adjust tension by simply sliding the hitch along the standing part of the line...

retrohiker

Jul 2, 2005
Ohio, USA
I cheat even a little bit more by connecting the guy lines to the tarp with mini-carabiners. The guy lines are tied to the carabiners with a tautline hitch so I can adjust tension from under the tarp like mentioned in an earlier post. This way I can modify the tarp configuration to the weather or task at hand by simply clipping the lines to different guyouts on the tarp. Quick and easy and the mini-carabiners hardly weigh anything!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE