What is this fungus?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Every year I get a huge fungus under a local oak tree. I think it may boletus edulus but it looks a bit pale to me and would value some help. It can be up to the size of a small pizza - 20cm diameter.

Growing
BOLETE1.JPG

Mature
BOLETE2.JPG

Past it
BOLETE3.JPG

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi Rich,i think it could be either Boletus appendiculatus the Oak Bolete or maybe Boletus impolitus the iodine Bolete,both of which grow under Oak,but my hunch is its the latter. Because the Oak Bolete has irregular cracking that may appear in the centre of the cap.But unfortunetly i can,t really tell if its cracked on the cap just from the photo. Hope this is of some help.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Thinking back to a local fungal foray a few weeks ago, when we looked at an Oak bolete, then I think this is not dark enough. The boletus impolitus - yellow form - seems to fit the bill better with the clay coloured cap (except in the huge mature specimens). I don't think there was any cracking on any of them.
So, not the best but still edible.

Next year I will run through some of the stated tests/ smells, and then try the cooking!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I have seen a few parasols still growing here, I'm amazed as it is cold as you like!! I think this weekend may be my final fungi foray in Germny, then I will need to find pastures new when I move back to UK next year. At least I may be able to make it to this coming years moot!! :D

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
rich59 said:
Thinking back to a local fungal foray a few weeks ago, when we looked at an Oak bolete, then I think this is not dark enough. The boletus impolitus - yellow form - seems to fit the bill better with the clay coloured cap (except in the huge mature specimens). I don't think there was any cracking on any of them.
So, not the best but still edible.

Next year I will run through some of the stated tests/ smells, and then try the cooking!
Cap colour can be pretty variable depending on soil type, variation etc. It looks quite rusted on the cap in the photo 2 but that may be the image quality. The best test is to smell it around the base of the stem as the B. impolitus species has a distinct iodine whiff, at least to my nose. Phillips indicates that the spore coliur is quite different, olivaceous snuff-brown in B. appendiculatus and lemon-yellow then lemon-chrome in B. impolitus. Another useful test.

Happy smelling, licking cooking :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE