What is the Soldier’s Brew?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What is the soldier's brew?

• Total voters

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
yes falling rain i was in Northern Ireland...i remember the cook being pi---- off that every day he would have to re-sort out the bacon and eggs for breakfast as we would always raid the kicten after a patrol during the night:)

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I think our cooks got fed up with it too, so in the end they actually used to put out several loaves of bread loads of eggs and a tub of margerine so we could help ourselves and not raid anything else.
I was at Girdwood park.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
NATO Standard Tea in my books, thought he young lad's tend to carry sachet's of instant Latte nowadays! Times they are a-changing. My Grandad always had a jar of 'Camp Coffee' in his knapsack because, he said, when he was fighting the Hun, all they had was rank tea and tried to use captured rations as they advanced. The German Coffee was far superior to our's. Somethings don't change. He said he felt sorry for the Germans. He was talking to some prisoners who said that the coffee they had was not a patch on the stuff they had at home, and they tried the same trick when THEY were advancing earlier in the war. When they tried the rations they captured, they thought it had all be poisoned by the Brit's to make them unusable. When my Grandad told him that that was just the way it tasted, the german said ' If you drink shisser like that, you deserve to win'! And they say the Germans have no sense of humour!:D

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Yup, I remember egg banjos. I did two tours in Ulster, first in Forkhill, South Armagh in '75, before they even had proper sangers or a helli landing pad. We had to drop from the wessex and run like hell into the RUC station. The second tour was in Bessbrook Mill. I was a cook by the way. If I had a quid for every egg banjo I've made, I'd be able to retire. Worst egg banjo experience I ever had was being night cook and was told by the QM to lock the cookhouse at five in the morning because the last patrol was in at four thirty. At half five, just as I was trying to catch up with my normal preps for the following day, half a dozen scruffy long haired individuals came up to the hatch and asked if I could o them some tea an egg banjos. I'd never seen them before so I told them to f*** off. They duly turned and went away. Ten minutes later the Orderly Officer turned up at the hatch and asked if I'd fed the SAS patrol that had just come in. Oops! I thought they were civvy contractors trying it on. Needless to say, I went and found them, apologised and did them all a full fry up. I said to one, "I didn't realise you were SAS". He replied, "We're not! There's no such thing as the SAS".

I also remember getting smacked in the mouth, really hard, by a 'coffee pot'. That was the code name for a female member of the military police. She was half way through her egg banjo. I asked if I could have a look at her truncheon. She handed it to me. I asked her where the batteries went. Smack! I landed on the floor, she just kept on eating.

Eric

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
Ahhaha Eric great post mate, "asked her where the batteries went!" Im trying that one!

as for me its Nato tea or Hot Choccy in the morning with dipped in Yorkie bar :D

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
There is nothing like a good mug of tea when you are cold and damp. And as any squady will know tye MOD brew is nothing like a good mug of tea.;)
But seriously, I drank tea however it came and tasted, you got what you could when you could. A brew solved all problems and raised morale, to quote Andy (bit of a dick) "McN" "We are 500M from the MSR, f**k it I'm Brewing".

To this day I ALWAYS carry packets of instant white tea on my person and in my kit when out and about, usually a flask of boiling water when hiking or the kit to boil water for a brew. I have brewed up at the top of Sca Fell, Snowdon, Benn, in wind, rain, snow, sleet, hail, sun, forest, jungle, desert there aint no place on earth a good brew is not welcome.
Tea :You_Rock_
but failing tea I will take what ever you are brewing.:D

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Falling Rain we were nearly neighbours I lived up the street from Girdwood probably on what was termed as the wrong side. Nice place!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I remember picking up rations from the cookhouse to take up to the bridging site on Ravelin Hill in Hameln. Get your sand bags plumped up, this could be a long yarn!

Anyway, it was a cold day, raining again and our bridge was the worst bridge ever. We broke three or four top panels, basically the lugs for the carrying bars just ripped out as the aluminium welds failed. The nose wouldn't go on half the time and the Bridge Commander was throwing his teddy constantly because the basic horse shoe build often took twice as long as it should! All nonsense to those who've never built a military bridge but nonetheless it gives an idea of what morale on the bridge site was like!

So, the rations turned up. A norgie of screech and a norgie of tea. Sugar in a silver tray, gone wet with the rain and now lumpy, and horror bags for all with tuna and soggy cucumber sarnies and wet bread. Those of you who have been in the mob know exactly what I am talking about!

The screech was ignored as we wanted something warm to drink, the first person found out how horrid it was, but didn't want to spoil the surprise for the rest of us, the swine! It seems that the tea had been made with boiling water that was gonna be used to boil veggies up back in the cookhouse, so it was heavily salted!

That team went on to set the world record for a bridge build to the new health and safety friendly rules, which still stands today, so maybe salty tea isn't all that bad for you!

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
o'look a swinging lantern...:)
talking of horror bags....i remember we had so many patrols on the ground around lisburn that we almost stopped traffic competly ( we was after somthing that i can't say)....anyway some one jumped out a car and went to the back off my landrover. and as i showed him the exit end of my rifle and asked him what was doing he showed me 4 horror bags and told me it was going to be a long day for us.......i could have cryed we were out for 20 hours that day....ended up doing a all round defence on a chinese while the brick commander got our supper

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Tea-
N.A.T.O.
milk-two sugars-preferably hot but not essential:rolleyes:
actually, we often just piled everything in: chocolate, coffee, tea bag, sugar and whitener, the bag would sometimes be squeezed out and wrapped in a chocolate powder sachet "just in case"
"Oh dear, the memories not to mention:
Dureen Nha Wooahh":lmao:

regards
R.B.

SunDog

Forager
Oct 14, 2005
South Coast
Here's a boring science bit: Aren't tea and coffee diuretics? (Likely to make you lose more fluid by urinating out more than you take in), contributing to dehydration?

Whether this matters or not depends on what sort of margins you're working to in the field I guess, but I'd favour the ration pack drinking chocolate, also tastes good! :beerchug:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Here's a boring science bit: Aren't tea and coffee diuretics? (Likely to make you lose more fluid by urinating out more than you take in), contributing to dehydration?

Whether this matters or not depends on what sort of margins you're working to in the field I guess, but I'd favour the ration pack drinking chocolate, also tastes good! :beerchug:

To a degree, depends on how strong you drink it, remember its often taken with sugar which will lift your energy level for a while. The instant tea in rat packs won't do much to make you pee and at the end of the day, its always good to take in fluids, plus it lifts ones spirits etc to drink a warm brew when you are cold and wet

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
From what I have heard the effect of the tea/coffee/cocoa (all diuretics as they all contain caffine etc) is next to nothing and you can happily hydrate on your favourite brew!

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
I'm amazed no-one's mentioned those MASSIVE tea bags that came in the 10 man rat packs.

Best tea ever, brewed in a mess tin over a hexi stove and made with evaporated milk. Winter 1985 on the SSA at RAF Honnington, in the snow, in the wee small hours. We weren't even suposed to have matches on the site, never mind a burning hexi stove!

The FS would've had puppies, never mind kittens!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE