What have you learned recently?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I learned how resilient nature can be.

The sunflower outside this building that was beheaded by a rabbit has now put out a new head from the leaf stem. Suffice to say that it is now behind a wire mesh fence, alarmed and rigged with claymores.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Dead grass makes lousy charred material but cattails (bulrush heads?) charred are better than Cotton to take a spark
Oh and solar sparks work brill with black or orange material and are virtually useless to light or burn anything white (yep I have seen some sun today (1/2 hour this evening)) :)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Needing to find some very specific information this evening I did search for relevant forums ~ and found a good one quite quickly

To get at the information I had to register.

To prevent auto-bot (??) spam, registering required answering a random question.

The correct answer isn't accepted :bluThinki :dunno: .

None of the potential (and incorrect) answers are accepted either :Thinkingo.

So, new tack required ...

I clicked on the 'Contact Us' button to ask for advice / help :thinkerg: .

One of the options is to report registration issues :D .

Again, to stop auto-bot (??) spam, a random question needs answering ...

and it's the same, apparently random, question which prevented me registering :banghead:

So tonight I have reasserted, to myself, that sometimes knowing the correct answer isn't as important as being able to supply the accepted answer :tapedshut .

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
When demonstrating how to split a small log with my wetterlings hatchet today I learned not to hold onto the log with my hand. Green wood splits more readilythan I am used to.

I knew all this already, but I taught the kids watching rather effectively why not. Also that there is no such thing as a dangerous woodworking tool, just an idiot holding it by the handle.

I learned that thumbs bleed profusely when you nearly amputate the tip with a sharp axe.

I really should know better.:slap:

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
When demonstrating how to split a small log with my wetterlings hatchet today I learned not to hold onto the log with my hand. Green wood splits more readilythan I am used to.

I knew all this already, but I taught the kids watching rather effectively why not. Also that there is no such thing as a dangerous woodworking tool, just an idiot holding it by the handle.

I learned that thumbs bleed profusely when you nearly amputate the tip with a sharp axe.

I really should know better.:slap:

Thumbs and axes seem to be drawn to each other don't they.

sent from my Jelly Bean'd galaxy nexus.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I learned over the weekend that a new C206 camping gaz cylinder discharges at a hell of a rate and gets very cold if you forget to screw the burner in properly!

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I've been learning about carving spoons and tooled finishes. My latest spoon is nothing special, but I've learned a heck of a lot just by doing it.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
This week: I learned how to recognise jack by the hedge. I learnt to recognise a great black-backed gull. I learnt that jackdaws are monagamous and they share more food than chimpanzees. I learned school is unfair supression because I have no right to vote against it. I learnt non of this at school.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I learn that wood carving friends are upset when they find you chainsawing up birch and lime trees :)

Bumbler

Nomad
Feb 22, 2013
Norway
www.bushcraft.no
1 month ago the only quick release knot I knew was how to tie shoe strings. Know I have learned the Siberian hitch, the evenk knot, truckers hitch, marlin spike hitch and a few others I do not remember the name of.
I can never remember a knot unless I am actually going to use it. And these are all knots usefull when hamocking, so finally they appear to stick in my bumbling brain.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I learned that when you don't have a belt sander to flatten a surface, and you have to use a file, it's far easier to flatten a smaller surface. So shape first than flatten.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE