What edged tool(s)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Vyvsdad

Nov 15, 2011
london
Hello all,
I have over the years collected quite a few different knives, axes etc.
I'm now at the point now where I am attached to them all and they all have their uses but I obviously can't carry them all. So I thought I'd ask you guys, which would you take with you.
The list is:
Gransfors small forest axe
Kukri
Falkniven a1
Ka-bar USMC knife
Leather man wave
Leather man sidekick
Opinel no. 8
A Gerber skinning knife
Cold steel bush master
Home made bushcraft knife, much like the ray mears one.
The usual folding saw
Draw knife
Various carving knives for spoons

The kukri is a bit big and really fulfills the same roll as the axe so no point in carrying both of them.

What do you lot think?

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Hi Vyvsdad and welcome to the forum.

It all depends on where your going but on the basis its either a day or longer out into the woods i would personally take -
The GB small forest axe
Bushcraft style knife
Folding saw
1 x general purpose spoon knife

The Kukri would do as an alternative to the axe though, like a few on here, i just find there is something about using an axe that i can resist.

I should add that i tend to try and do a bit of carving whenever the oppertunity allows hence my list above but if your not planning on it then the Opinel or better yet a sub 3" non locking folder.

Again it all depends on your plans, how long your away for etc... i too have a reasonable (wife seems to think excessive) collection with a lot of cold steel products, kabar and myriad others but wouldnt generally take them out with me as i find they look a bit too "military" to make having with me easily explainable.

Cheers, Hamster

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i always carry min :-

GB SFA
folding pocket knife (not sure what type, it was a gift)
Bushcraft knife of some sort (min a clipper or home made bushey)

the above would be taken on a walk or day outing, i might leave the GB SFA depending on if im using a fire to cook on or sotve etc etc.

if im going away for a weekend :-

GB SFA
folding pocket knife
Bushcraft knife
folding saw (this makes fire wood collection much easyer)
spoon knife if i think i will have time to mess around
and a leatherman in my bag because its good for fixing things when / if they break

always a min 2 blades though, but thats just me, i have taken just an axe before but it was a pain for fine work...

regards.

chris.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Different horses for different courses
Although recently I am beginning to wonder if I will ever really need or have to use an axe away from home.

Fixed blade of some type ,folding saw- Bahco or Opinel ,locking Sak -Forester or Atlas are my normal carry for an overnight.
Recently I have started taking a smaller thinner folder instead of SAK.(to save on weight)
I enjoy mixing and matching for different trips almost reviewing my choices in the field
Welcome to the forum you will probably end up with more choices if you hang about here

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Hi
Depends what you are going to do. If I am just going for a walk I would take my bushcraft knife in my rucksack and a folding knife in my pocket. I have a gerber paraframe but have made my own 01 steel blade for it.So it's as sharp as my bushcraft knife.
If I was planning to camp out I would also take a Gransfors Scandinavian Forest axe & Bahco folding saw.

Last edited by a moderator:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE