What does your screen name mean?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biogenic1

Sep 27, 2007
Australia
BIO= Life GENIC= Generating

My goal is to make EVERYTHING in my life "Life Generating" leading to health, peace and happiness along the lines of Goethe's famous saying: "Gray are all the theories but green is the Tree of Life."

Gary

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Mine`s just a nickname I`ve stuck with from school, even the wife and in-laws call me Shewie rather than Rich.

Comes from my surname of Sheward and Schumacher due to the fact that I wrote my car off on my way to school having just passed my test on my 17th Birthday. Aquaplaned at 70mph and rolled 4 times.

Nothing to do with ladies number ones !!

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Mine means my name is David, and I like a drink and a rifle that happen to have the same name.

Sorry its not very spiritual or anything:dunno:

Dave

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
The least offensive of many nicknames I've had over the years and my last name shortened. Daringly original by having no capital letter at the start... About half my friends still call me it, most just use my real name.

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
Mine means 'spoor' , or 'set of footprints with sign' in Swahili. I'm from Africa, and I really like tracking. Oh, and it's a very easy word on the ear.

Pretty good at two legged animals, but am teaching myself the ways of four legged ones.

N

pteron

Acutorum Opifex
Nov 10, 2003
Wiltshire
pteron.org
Mine means "wing" in Greek: it is an anagram of my surname and I fly so it seemed apt. I've used it since the very early days of the net on IRC.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Mines a character from the Moomins. Some of my favourite books as a kid. I can relate to his liking of heading south for the winter. I wish I could:rolleyes: .

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
Nothing complicated about my screen name. I am big, I can be very bad and my name is Stewart.

I used to work for a mate's bikeshop selling stuff at race meetings from a tradestand. There were lots of Stu's at the time, Stu Griff, Stoopid Stu and I was Big Stu:bluThinki .

The Bad bit came along when I was working with Clive the boss and I caught someone trying to shoplift off the stand I told them that they shouldn't because it would really hurt. How? came the reply. I simply informed them what I would be forced to do to them if they persisted, I seem to remember it involved crutches. :twak:

From then on I was known as Big Bad Stu! (quite a compliment from someone who once wanted to throw a shoplifter down the stairs into the cellar until the cops came around to get him).

I will get round to having it tattooed on at some point.

Stewey.:D

PS Don't tell anyone but I am as soft as s~*t most of the time!

Soloman

Settler
Aug 12, 2007
Scotland
Soloman here.
Mine is an amalgamation of the name of my lad (gsd) who goes with me everywhere. SOLO.And the fact that you cant realy know yourself untill you spend time alone with no outside pressure.

Sep 10, 2007
mine is just simply my last name..... first name is Matthew but i tend to use my last name for screen names and such, no idea y exactly just always seems like the simplest thing to remember.

Right.
In Dutch speaking Belgium (Flanders), the inhabitants of every city carry a different nickname: For Brussels there are two: A man born inside the city is a "kiekefretter" (chicken eater), one from greater Brussels is a "ketje" (kiddy).

Now how do you pronounce "ketje" ?
As in ketchu(p). That's why. I did choose it earlier for another English speaking forum

Just for fun: some other nicknames:

Ostend: ploate (plaice)
Brugge: Ezel (donkey)
Antwerp: sinjoor (from Italian/spanish signore/senor)
Ghent: stroppedrager (hangman's noose bearer)
Mechelen: maneblusser (moon quencher)
Ypres: katte (cat)
:togo:

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
mine comes from the only time i get to myself is at the weekend and i used to go to the soul weekenders at caister and places

Pitkin

Life Member
Jul 26, 2007
Buckinghamshire
My mum always used to put us in front of the old Norman Wisdom comedy films as children. His on screen name was always Norman Pitkin. As I grew up he became a family favourite of ours, now my kids watch and love them. SWMBO refused to let me name our son 'Pitkin' but she couldn't say nowt about ME!...........OOOOOHH MR. GRIMSDALE!!!!!!

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
I'm a Clark and I got mine when I joined the army in '64. My dad was a nobby before me and my brother is another.
The origins of the nickname seem to be lost, unless somebody knows differently, and it isn't obvious like the Dusty Millers, Chalky Whites, etc.
I'm finding nowadays that younger folk (under 40) ain't got any idea of these traditional nicknames unless they've been in the services.

ps Why are Wilson's nicknamed 'Tug"?

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I'm a Clark and I got mine when I joined the army in '64. My dad was a nobby before me and my brother is another.
The origins of the nickname seem to be lost, unless somebody knows differently, and it isn't obvious like the Dusty Millers, Chalky Whites, etc.
I'm finding nowadays that younger folk (under 40) ain't got any idea of these traditional nicknames unless they've been in the services.

ps Why are Wilson's nicknamed 'Tug"?

I beleive Nobby Clark comes from the fact that clerks working in the office where, allegedly, posh so therefore "nobs" so Nobby Clark.
I don't know about Tug, but Spot Watson has always confused me!

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
My name is Nik and in huge contrast to bushcraft I'm a software engineer and my other hobbies include electronics and model rocketry; tecNik is a nick name (lol pun) I picked up many years ago at collage.

Model rocketry? Now THAT sounds interesting! Maybe there is a little pyromaniac left in me after all :)
Seriously, how'd you get into that? Are there rocketry clubs or something?
I remember seeing some rocket launching event notamed a while back. Been meaning to find a erm... rocketeer?... ever since!

Back to the subject of the thread... my name; no guesses really! Haven't done so much climbing recently, but noone else ever seems to use the name so it saves me remembering different usernames on various sites!

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Because I look like a little yellow bird and sleep on top of a kennel.:D no Its because the event made a huge impact on my person the last great gathering of free minds and spirits

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE