What do you think?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

trikey

Sep 7, 2004
nottingham
Picture018.jpg

sorry about big pic :cry:
brought pouch from surplus store for 4:99,putting 1st aid kit one side and not sure about other yet,was going to cut gubbings off back i do`nt need and just leave the belt loops,anyone no why it`s got two bits on each fastener that go through the holes ?
ps wots bb stand for

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Nice. If you have first aid in one of them, why not put possibles in the other one? :wink: It will make a great setup then combined with knife and firesteel.
But I think they look a little dull, in the camo? :?:

BTW: what's that knife? :eek:):

Moine

Forager
Trickey,

Nice pouches. I use that kind of pouches daily and I love them.

Here's my humble take...

You've got a blade, you've got a fire steel. What do you need next?

- something to create fire easily with the steel : magnesium shavings, cotton balls with vaseline on them, etc.
- another fire lighting method (clear, non-piezo electric, brightly colored, adjustable butane lighter)
- water : you'll need water sooner or later. If you pick it in the wild, you'll have to purify/disinfect it, so you need a recipient (rolled platypus, ziplocs... whatever) and water purification products.
- stay dry/shelter : I own a cheap poncho that could fit into one of those pouches. Another good take is a large heavy duty trash bag or two. You can wear it as a poncho or make a shelter with it (you'll need duct tape and some cord).
- first aid? What you really need in the bush (apart from personal needs like meds or antihistamines, whatever) is something to disinfect a wound (biseptine is great), something to cover it and close it (hypafix), and something to apply pressure if needed (bandana). Antalgics can be a plus as they'll let you "walk on it" and get out. Again, duct tape can be helpful to treat blisters, cuts and to strap a twisted ankle... for example.

You might also consider some light source (in case you could get caught by the night and still want to keep on walking home), signaling (whistles are great) and land nav (good compass with mirror, which makes another signaling device).

To sum it up:

- tinder
- butane lighter
- water container(s)
- water treatment stuff (micropur, iodine, chlorine, whatever you prefer)
- poncho/gargabe bag(s)
- duct tape (on the 8th day, the Lord created duct tape...)
- bandana(s) (3 zillions possible uses)
- paracord (preferable real mil spec 7 strands 550 cord)
- antalgics (I grab paracetamol 1000mg)
- small led light
- whistle
- compass with mirror

Cheers,

David

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
hi trikey

i guess the others never read your question :?:

the only thing i can come up with is that it is some kind of double security but i am not familiar with newfangled clips and fasteners

bb could be british blades (see my signature ;))

looks a useful little pack and moines suggestions on what to fill it with are pretty comprehensive

keep us posted :)

Tant

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Trikey,
Do you mean the fasteners on the front? If so, it's quite an effective yet quiet fastener which is easy to open one-handed. I use a single version of these to hold my Night Vision Monocular although I had to strip out the internal divider. Compared with velcro, Zips or Fastex the fastener is much quieter and less fuss...nothing like the rrrippp of velcro or the fumble of fastex to spook the wildlife.
I've never been military but as far as I know these are british ammunition pouches.

trikey

Sep 7, 2004
nottingham
the plastic bit that sticks up in the photo is the same size as the bit that goes in the hole,but they wont both fit together so if it snags a branch it could open the pouch although you can fold out some velcro from inside the pouch but i also hate the noise it makes.cheers for all the ideas. :eek:):

hootchi

Settler
trikey said:
anyone no why it`s got two bits on each fastener that go through the holes ?[/QUOTE]
I think that they may may be to adjust the ride hight that the pouches could be mounted onto the webbing belt. I have got one of those pouches and webbing but not where i am now, to invesigate further.

Sorry I could not be so precise.

hootchi

Settler
Sorry I completly missunderstood the question. Well thats what I think the attatchments at the back are for!!

The bits sticking up are quick release for the buckle but come undone too easily as you have said. To make the hold more secure a trick is to push the quick release though the hole first then the other plastic tab behind. this creates a much firmer hold.

I know I have not explained this well at all but let me know if you cant work it.

Moine

Forager
Tantalus said:
i guess the others never read your question :?:

Oooops. :redface:

Tantalus said:
the only thing i can come up with is that it is some kind of double security but i am not familiar with newfangled clips and fasteners

Yup, they're just a way to close the pouches. Velcros are just too darn noisy. Most guys remove them.

Those closing clips are just the same kind as the ones found on the canadian army's pouches. "Our" clips are just shorter, so they don't catch in branches and stuff as much.

http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/equipment/64mess.jpg (185kb)

I've got a few of those on the right. They're attached to the belt with a sturdy velcro loop that really holds a lot of weight. Working great. They're waterproofed canvas.

I also have a few of a smaller model (can't find pics, sorry). Great for carrying survival gear. I'm not sure they're already issued, though.

Cheers,

David

leon-1

hootchi said:
Sorry I completly missunderstood the question. Well thats what I think the attatchments at the back are for!!

The bits sticking up are quick release for the buckle but come undone too easily as you have said. To make the hold more secure a trick is to push the quick release though the hole first then the other plastic tab behind. this creates a much firmer hold.

I know I have not explained this well at all but let me know if you cant work it.

The explanation is fine and it works very well, it is common practice in the army to use the closure in this way, generally the velcro tab on the inside is covered because troops most of the time do not want that noise either :eek:):

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE