What do you think of this idea??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 16, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent
Hi all, me and my friend are planning a walk and wild camp in Wales next weekend but instead of the usual procedure of planning a looped circuit starting and finishing at the car we though we might try to come up with a more adventurous plan.
We though of taking a train form or local station to a suitable location in Wales and then trekking of on no specific route. We would walk for a day, camp where suitable and then walk the next day until we find means of getting home ie. train, bus.
We havent though of all the details yet and i though i would like to know what you guys on here thought of the idea. Please feel free to give me any advice on suitable places in Wales to reach via train and good walks and camping spots etc. or you can be honest and tell me what a stupid idea it is in the first place, lol.
I basically want an exciting change in the way i usually hike and camp in the UK. All comments welcome and very much appreciated.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Hi And_another,

Sounds like a great adventure :) I can't recommend any specific walks to you but good luck, have fun and make sure you take a mobile phone and a map and ensure you know where you are on the map just in case of an emergency.

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
Sounds a great idea, as long as you have a map so that you know where you are when it does matter. If you have to be home for a certain time/date you will need to plan your end point so that you don't arrive 5 minutes after the last train of the day. :eek:

Have a good trip.
Stu

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Hi AA,
I'm in Mid Wales, theres a lot of farmland around and wooded areas (I'm not going to say wild camping areas coz that would be wrong). Map & compass is a good idea, but theres patchy mobile phone coverage for many miles around - just something to be aware of.
Thanks to the recent weather, you'll not run short of water, but take care to purify it sufficiently. Are you carrying your rations, or thinking of picking food up en-route? Wales can be a very religious place and shops will often shut early on saturday to get ready for church on sunday. If the weather does change for the better, expect a flurry of activity around hay making - some people have cut already, others are waiting.
Lastly, no matter how remote you think you might be, it is very likely that someone somewhere will know that you are in the area, a pleasant wave or morning greeting will go a long way towards easing peoples minds as to what your intentions are.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Ogri the trog

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
Hmmm, reminds me of the time we walked the ridgeway and finished at the weekend. Enquired with the tourist office about the last bus out of Avebury that weekend, then as we walked away knowing we had several hours to play with we saw a bus - and asked, to find out it was the last bus... So it's a great idea but ending at a random location can be quite difficult...

Jun 16, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent
Thanks for the replys guys, your positivity has really got me geared up for it now, lol. just one thing, can anyone recommend certain areas in Wales that will supply us with challenging hikes and also suitable places to wild camp?
I'am goin to look into train/bus times and hopefully once i decide on an area of wales i can buy the relivant OS map.
Thanks again guys and gals.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
The area around lake bala is very nice... well it was...

One thing you have to take though... and must not forget... is a camera ;o)

bet you'll have a great time where ever you end up going.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE