what do you carry?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Horse flies? #1 for entertainment. Picea nigra is our Black Spruce, a scruffy conifer common to wet sites. Unlike all the other spruce, it has rather short needles
with a bit of barb/flake at the base of each one. Catch the horse fly very gently. Insert the barbed end of one needle into the posterior of said fly and release.
Now unbalanced, all they can do is fly straight up until they are out of sight.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Cleg = Horsefly

It could also be a 'Deer Ked' which is a different species from what you would know as a Horsefly. I've only really experienced Deer Ked's on the West Coast of Scotland in the UK.

I think however it's also generic term for any large fly that gives a nasty bite.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's a horribly nasty, sleekit, filthy, biting spawn of satan, is what it is.

It's a horsefly, it's silent in flight and it literally sneaks up on it's victim. It can, and does, bite through clothes to get at the flesh.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?cli...rd=ssl#rls=en&q=cleg+fly+bite&revid=547286430

Any year without clegs is a good one :)
I honestly believe everything has it's place, but see clegs ? I'd happily see them totally obliterated.

M

stuey

Sep 13, 2011
High Peak
www.arb-tek.co.uk
It could also be a 'Deer Ked' which is a different species from what you would know as a Horsefly. I've only really experienced Deer Ked's on the West Coast of Scotland in the UK.

I think however it's also generic term for any large fly that gives a nasty bite.
As a stalker I haven't heard of keds being referred to as clegs before and pretty much every roe I have shot in Somerset (where I lived and stalked until a year ago) was riddled with keds.
Odd as keds aren't interested in humans as far as I am aware. Ticks on the other hand... Eugh....
Every day is a school day :)

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I know a few stalkers and they don't bother with the keds either, though that said, my husband has had a few nasty bites from them.
Those are the tick like things that fly onto a deer (or HWMBLT) and drop their wings.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipoptena_cervi

another horrible bite though.

The bites from clegs are a misery :( they itch like fury, they swell up like a red hot pancake, my heart flutters like a bird trapped in my chest, if the bite's over a joint, it can totally immobilise it, and it takes days (sometimes weeks) to settle down and heal. Even flyspray doesn't deter them.

M

Last edited:

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
As a stalker I haven't heard of keds being referred to as clegs before and pretty much every roe I have shot in Somerset (where I lived and stalked until a year ago) was riddled with keds.
Odd as keds aren't interested in humans as far as I am aware. Ticks on the other hand... Eugh....
Every day is a school day :)

Yes, I agree they don't seem quite as inclined to bite as horsefly's / midges although I'm still not keen on them crawling on my skin! Perhaps a regional expression? When I joined MR all the old sweats referred to Ked's as Clegs. I didn't know they we're common all over the UK although I don't work with deer as you do.

MarkN

Jan 13, 2015
Dorset
if I'm out for the day, I carry;

Karrimor Sabre 35
300ml bottle of meths
Trangia burner
Firesteel
Pocket Stove
Small tin of various tinders
DC4
Fallkniven penknife
Small first aid kit
Small torch
Head torch
Compass
Map
2 Ltrs of water
Mug
Crusader mug
Various tea/coffee/hot chocolate food packets
Spork
Hilleberg XP10 tarp
Toilet roll, hand cleanser / insect spray
Waterproofs
Whistle
Paracord

If I'm just out for a walk with the dog
Snugpak Responce Bag
Small pocket knife
Headtorch
First aid kit
Small torch
Whistle

In my work bag;
Karrimor Sabre 25
Small torch
Head Torch
British Law folding knife
Whistle
Length of Paracord
Small first aid kit.

Cheers
Mark

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Well I take the usual, shelter cooker etc.

The small extra are

Spare shoes, brilliant dry non sweaty footwear for the tent/camp
Water filter
Battery
Lantern (electric for the battery)
Solar panel - charges the battery (or 3 mobiles)in a day
Headphones for listening to music
Telescope
Rope - for tying in knots

And the basics waterpoof poncho + trousers, headtorch, tissues, zilock bag, 500ml plastic mug, towell, cutlery, personal hygene, maps,pliers, lighters, knife steel, water tablets, tin opener, mozzie repp, drywash, washing up kit, nail clippers sewing kit, very small first aid, swiss knife, phone case, fishing kit, kit repair items.

Surprisingly all of this came in at 3.5kg and most of it is indespensible.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE