What axe for carving?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Im a big gransfors fan for serious carving I mainly use the Swedish carving axe once your arm gets use to the weight it makes light work of things compared to lighter axes, but i also use hatchets quite a lot as well for certain things and when out and about, I find the outdoor axe a great on the go axe for reducing large pieces of wood to take home, cheers

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Should have specified.

It will be for small ish stuff cups, bowls, and some axe handles etc. But also siding up logs for cabin (if plans come off)

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
Gränsfors large carving axe (stor slöydbila).
DSC_0862_zps9c2a29d5.jpg

Genious axe!

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Another GB-user here. I do all my carving with the SFA since that is the one I have. I do have a wishlist for the carver and the wildlife hatchet though :p

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I use a few different axes from Svante Djarv to GB axes, I think its just personal prefference thing, I like different axes for different tasks (carving wise) The Gb swedish carving axe is a very good axe and one I use alot, Svante Djarv's axes are made from very good steel and hold an excellent edge, Hans Karlsson makes a carving axe that has had good reviews also. Nic Westermann on here makes axes for carving you could give him a shout. Again his axes are very well made with great reviews, his tools are up there on my wish list.
http://www.nicwestermann.co.uk/

alex.c

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2011
England
I use the GB carving axe and its great i also use a kent pattern axe for smaller work but like soar i've heard some good things about nic westermann's carving axe jon mac did a few posts on his blog about it http://spooncarvingfirststeps.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/the-macnic-axe.html and http://spooncarvingfirststeps.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/controlled-thumb-push-using-macnicaxe.html. Robin wood also wrote a whole article on the subject http://greenwood-carving.blogspot.co.uk/2010/07/which-is-best-axe-for-carving-bushcraft.html. Hope this helps.
Cheers.
Alex.

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
I mostly use a GB SCA, a Svante Djarv little Viking axe and a Stefan Ronnqvist axe. I agree with Simon that it's a personal preference and you get used to your axe. The most important thing is technique. The GB is the heaviest of my axes and the only one with an asymmetric grind. If you're planning on using it for truing the face of a log then it's probably your best bet, but again, with the right technique you can use a symmetrical bevel to do the same. The Svante Djarv is a great axe that is a bit lighter, but only by a couple of hundred grams (don't be fooled by the name, it's only little compared to his large viking axe, which is an absolute beast, ask Simon about it). The Ronnqvist axe is my preference for more detailed work like spoon carving and it's also very versatile. I also agree with Simon about Nic Westermann's axes. He has recently posted some examples on the edged tools forum. When funds permit I'd like to talk to him about making a small axe around the 400g weight.

Last edited:

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I've just started renovating something completely different:
transformation.jpg

The straightish edge on this means it is mostly for shaping and flattening work, or working the outside curves. I have a curved adze for the other sort of work.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Anything with a decent point on it will be fine for carving. I've used Kent patterns for a long time and they work well.

Another excellent carver is that Argos axe. The extra pointy tip is just great for righty turns etc, that's why the gb carver s so nice to use.

But on a budget mate, Kent pattern or Argos style axe will see you through. And at the price you can have them for, you're laughing.
Andy

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I've just started renovating something completely different:
transformation.jpg

The straightish edge on this means it is mostly for shaping and flattening work, or working the outside curves. I have a curved adze for the other sort of work.

That is lovely!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Bahco 800g. (same shape as argos axe, just 200g heavier which is better for carving, you can get a 600g version aswell, which is basically the argos axe)
http://www.toolstop.co.uk/bahco-hgps-0.6-360-standard-hand-axe-800g-p18211

Will need a bit of the work on the edge, they dont come with sheaths, and you might want to sand the paint off. But they are very good axes, and the head shape lends them well to carving, aswell as IMO being the best all round hatchet you can get. :)

Any other options other then the granny B?

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE