What are you growing?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Runner beans are finaly in the ground!
Sweetcorn hasn't showed a nose in 3 weeks, digging in the pot to see what happened to the seeds...nothing there.
Reckon micies or ratsies got them. Blooming little ***'s
New seeds planted today, and they will be kept inside untill noses show. Only got 10 seeds left, so can't afford to loose those too. They will be late this year.
Had hoped for 24 plants, as I adore sweetcorn. Always have the biggest patch I can fit in the beds.
Realy miffed!

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Finaly got the last ingredient for my kimchi garden, those long white radishes..moolie, or something, forgotten the exact name, and the seed packet has gone walkies in the seed bin!
The only thing I'm not growing is chilli, as I eat them rarely and I have dried ones in a jar.
It is realy exciting to think I have a mini potted Korean veg garden. I'm also trying two varieties of pack choi, as I love stir fries.
One of my home grown sweet chestnut trees has found a lovely home. Two to go. Four oaks have germinated out of six acorns. Trying cherry this year. The stones spent the winter in the fridge, and I forgot about them . It's a bit late on planting, but I'll try planting half of them. Fingers crossed.

Disabled Preppers

Apr 3, 2023
west midlands
Well been a long few days in the garden but due to health i have to go slow but at least i was in the sunshine sort of but the giggle is we have a couple of stray cats that live i nthe house now one is such a fussy pot she wants picking up all the time and we also have a neighbours cat that lives in the garden in the summer yup the food bill is huge for them but here is the kicker , me and ginger the new cat so to speak been here around 8 months now 5 living indoors well if you sit down she is there so down the bpottom of the garden she comes to sit with me on the bench so i start working meow meow moew push push stroke me lol so i take a rest and go sit on the hammock nice and soft and the wife sees me to make sure ihave not blacked out the cat follows and i sit whoosh she is up walking round and round o nthe nice soft cushion then plop rightr against me for a fuss , i fell asleep storking the cat it must be true stroking and animal can not only ptu them to sleep lol i woke only because my wife approached making ginger jump hence waking me lol but we both tried to use the line i was just resting my eyes the sun was to bright lol .
We got so much done today weeding and planting out flowers and bits i will try and get hpotos up , i am growing eygptain onions this year as someone said these grow anywhere and do not sufer the white rot like my giant show onions lol now days all we want is food we can eat , i am also trying the welsh onion we shall see they come back year after year .
I have also been doing lots of herb planters , we have lots of herbs roundthe garden medical and eating but for the eating i prefer the polytunnel pot grown as no worry of fox wee on them if you know what i mean .
Well have fun in the garden folks it is a real tonic and winter gets here far to soon for my liking
Ok how do i add pictures lol

Last edited:

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
Following the wettest March in 50 years or some such accolade, we're now walking into a drought. There's still some moisture in the soil but the top 2 or 3 inches is dust. Nothing but sun and wind forecast for this week. Grumble grumble... Moan moan...

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Following the wettest March in 50 years or some such accolade, we're now walking into a drought. There's still some moisture in the soil but the top 2 or 3 inches is dust. Nothing but sun and wind forecast for this week. Grumble grumble... Moan moan...

Yep, the ground is bone dry several inches down in the raised beds and dust on top here too.
I'm making sure before I plant anything , l pour loads of water into the area I want to plant, then I'm using the grass clippings as mulch to slow down evaporation. Works well on the potatoes and beans so far. Straw would be better, but anything you can use to mulch and stop evaporation during the hot daytime hours will help.

Reactions: Kadushu

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I put grass clippings around some brassicas last year, purely out of laziness, and they loved it!

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Strawberries and gooseberries look to be growing well this year. Second full year with gooseberries and after not looking too good suddenly covered in fruit. Strawberries put out so many runners last year they've taken over the border and we've weeded out all the other plants. Only 2 or 3 plants bought but we've got almost 3m x 2m patch! Must be 15 plants now! Plus we found wild Strawberries growing there too. Must be a good ground for them.

Just need a bird protection that works to get anything!

Disabled Preppers

Apr 3, 2023
west midlands
Strawberries and gooseberries look to be growing well this year. Second full year with gooseberries and after not looking too good suddenly covered in fruit. Strawberries put out so many runners last year they've taken over the border and we've weeded out all the other plants. Only 2 or 3 plants bought but we've got almost 3m x 2m patch! Must be 15 plants now! Plus we found wild Strawberries growing there too. Must be a good ground for them.

Just need a bird protection that works to get anything!
On my raised bed i use the blue plastic underground water pipe i cut it the length then pop it in holes drilled in the capping board and then put net over , but we also use that on the ground plants that need protection , you can get a huge roll of it and it lasts forever and ever , plus if you wish to make the hoops higher just leave them longer and also if you have some batten you can joint them with a bolt in each oops i use the long green plastic coated bean poles as my joiners it just means they stay far ridgeder .
I wanted to add photos but still have not worked pout how lol yup techno loon here

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Easiest way to post photos is to become a full member, which also gives you access to other parts of the forum , or use a host image posting site... don't ask me about that, tech dunce here too, but I'm sure someone can tell you how that works.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Well, the sweetcorn is rather a disaster. Planted a dozen more seeds, all I had left, and only 4 have germinated. A friend gave me three plants that she had left over from her planting, so that's a grand total of seven. A sad showing this year.
Beetroot have germinated well this year, last year they didn't germinate at all well. Swings and roundabouts I guess.
Broad beans finaly in flower, and tomatoes have their first flowers.
Cauliflowers are germinating well though.
Two out of eight courgette seeds germinated. Spring onions in the ground never showed up, but the pot I planted at the same time from the same packet, is doing well.
Strange germination pattern this year.

Reactions: Disabled Preppers

Bhod

Forager
Feb 2, 2007
North Tyneside
French breakfast radishes, Red spring onions, mixed lettuce leaves, strawberries, chilli peppers and some fennel. Not that organised this year as I'm still re-doing the garden but at least I've got something in.

Disabled Preppers

Apr 3, 2023
west midlands
Well, the sweetcorn is rather a disaster. Planted a dozen more seeds, all I had left, and only 4 have germinated. A friend gave me three plants that she had left over from her planting, so that's a grand total of seven. A sad showing this year.
Beetroot have germinated well this year, last year they didn't germinate at all well. Swings and roundabouts I guess.
Broad beans finaly in flower, and tomatoes have their first flowers.
Cauliflowers are germinating well though.
Two out of eight courgette seeds germinated. Spring onions in the ground never showed up, but the pot I planted at the same time from the same packet, is doing well.
Strange germination pattern this year.
Your right on swings and roundabouts , i will never buy Unwins mini cucumbers again i use to get beth alpha as the wife loves to pick them and just munch , the Unwins i brought sowed indoor under grow lights i got 2 weak plants i mean weak i contacted the company who sent a new packet same batch hmmm yup sowed i got 3 this time and out of the 5 2 have survived , now i brought an unknown seller brand some cheap one of the bay and planted 10 seeds thiniking i might get a couple but all 10 came good , i am planting far more this year than last as we always give away the extra fruit and veg we can not use or store and as they say may be shortages never hurts but lots more work for me .
Today i am resting as much as i can as meant to be shooting today but well not had a great night so gunsand lack of sleep are a no so rest is the order lol well that and sitting out with the latest stray cat ginger as she loves a cuddle and fuss now we have earnt her trust but i will also be potting out a few cosmos as we love them i have 20 to 30 sunflowers out and just love bee plants .
Have a great day all and enjoy the open outdoors as much as you can

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Just picked up two large compactor bags of fleece sheep that would have been dumped. It’ll go under plants to hold moisture.

Just planted out runner beans at the project I volunteer with once a week, they have a few sheep, so we've put sheep wool in the trench for the beans , hope that will help hold moisture at the roots as the veg plot there is so dry. Mulched with well rotted sheep manure and straw. The beans should be cropping to the max with that little lot!

Disabled Preppers

Apr 3, 2023
west midlands
Just planted out runner beans at the project I volunteer with once a week, they have a few sheep, so we've put sheep wool in the trench for the beans , hope that will help hold moisture at the roots as the veg plot there is so dry. Mulched with well rotted sheep manure and straw. The beans should be cropping to the max with that little lot!
Hi woody this is not a what i am growing it is a tip we used at our allotment as our name says being disabled i use to sometimes be bed our sofa bound for days or weeks we brouth the spikes that fit on water bottle and use to save 2 litre bottles push them in along rows or trenches this means we would water then fill the bottles and the plants or grow suck as it needed , also if you can get the 5 lt bottles dig a hole in your trench cut the bottle of the 5lt bottle take the cap off plnat the bottle in the ground with a few inches sticking up and again fill and you have a sort fo res of water for the plants i also do this in my polytunnel here all plants get the bottle so they can feed off the water as and when .

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Whisper it quietly, so I don't frighten it away.. we have some rain!!! So far, its just light, and barely wetting anything, and only predicted for a few hours this afternoon. Praying for a downpour, as its realy needed here. Nothing for over a month.
Dry ain't the word!

Reactions: SaraR

Disabled Preppers

Apr 3, 2023
west midlands
Whisper it quietly, so I don't frighten it away.. we have some rain!!! So far, its just light, and barely wetting anything, and only predicted for a few hours this afternoon. Praying for a downpour, as its realy needed here. Nothing for over a month.
Dry ain't the word!
Well i brought the rian the wife tells me , i got my shorts out and my comfy chair in the garden most times i make do with the garden benchs we have around or a plastic chair dragged round so i can sit , lol it has been raining hard here stopped now but i will say the 1500lt rain barrel i have off the large side roof we have was near empty so i am hoping it fills it , i have loads to plant out still sunflowers ,cosmos , marigolds and a lot more but with the heat we had i dare not as it cooks them , tomorrow we are under a heat warning here so will have to wait and see , if you want more rain just say i put my shorts on again lol my top half has a golden tan lol as i very rarely wear a shirt but the legs are milk bottles lol .

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Well, the rain barely wetted the top centimetre of soil, but its been much cooler today, if a bit muggy. Planted out 3 courgettes under the runner beans, harvested a dozen crunchy radishes for my salad, and may well be harvesting the gooseberries tomorrow. Goosegog crumble with fresh double cream...mmmmmm!
Just been out with the pop gun, and got a rat! Yay! One less little blighter.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Well, the beds are filling up.squash, courgettes cauliflowers, chard and rocket, lettuce, tomatoes, green and purple dwarf beans, carrots, Chinese cabbage, radishes, beetroot, sweetcorn, spring onions, pickling onions, and much else besides.
Picked the first tayberries today, along with the last few gooseberries, some wild strawberries, and a few wild raspberries, am making brandied fruits with them. Will add anything that comes my way into the kilner jar, as summer goes along. Lovely treat for Xmas.

Disabled Preppers

Apr 3, 2023
west midlands
@Woody girl wow your working hard , i have taken a day out today to rest as been trying to fit and hang a new soild garage door to the rear of the store area and making it more secure if you understand , it has taken it out of me due to the health and the heat and i have to watch asking the wife to lift heavy stuff due ot her major heart failure , i will get it finished when the rain stops , but the garden has had a fair amount of water yesterday and today so no need to water there and the tunnel was watered yesterday so all is good , i have been saving the wild strawberries in the freezer i am going to do what you said i think it was dehydrate a big batch for winter , my wife loves them in her breakfast and i might even do some more sliced large strawberries as well , been doing lots of herbs and planting more herbs , i want to add dried herbs in pouches to the dried goods buckets nothing worse than plqain pasta or rice add a little herb and zing you have something tasty that people would like to eat .

Reactions: Woody girl

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE