Wetterlings or Hultafors hatchet?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

seraphim

Dec 19, 2010
Ratae Corieltauvorum
Price will be identical (About 50% cheaper than a GB Wildlife)

Any preference or are they as good as each other? (are they competitive with GB or a lot rougher?)

Hults advantage is I can see it before parting with the cash as I can get one locally.

Wetterlings is from a reputable dealer and I have heard the name a lot more than Hults.

I have no idea what the warranty is on either of them but I wouold assume it's ok. More than a year?

They both say they have 1lb to 500g heads and 13 inch hickory shafts, both the same shape, like mini SFA's but not quite the wildlife GB shape.

is one significantly better or they the same? (but obviously not as good out of the box as the GB's are reputed to be)

(as you can see, I decided on a hatchet size...first! SWMBO will one day walk into the garage and wonder how I managed to sneak other axes past her!!):lmao:

subedarmajor

Forager
May 25, 2008
winterton uk
Well I get on fine with my Wetterlings. But I do mainly use it for splitting firewood as opposed to carving, so a few more opinions might in order.

seraphim

Dec 19, 2010
Ratae Corieltauvorum
I ordered a husky hatchet, the handle was poor on all 3 examples, and none had the head on straight! I emailed husky and they said manufacturing issues which they were looking at. The result.... The new ones are different head shape, and 'assembled in china' and don't say hand forged Swedish steel.

Woof, it's my local tool dealer, nice blokes and very helpful, I'm thinking a hults can't be that much 'worse' that a wetterlings? And I like buying my tools face to face! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE