Wetterlings axe's

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mr Wolf

Jun 30, 2013
Nottinghamshire
Anyone know why they stopped making the Scandinavian forest axe?
Too close to the gb design?
Disappointed because was trying to find one over the weekend only to find wetterlings have axed a few from the line up! (excuse the pun)
Tried to find a gb Scandinavian forest axe and everywhere sold out.
Which now leaves me tempted by a hudson bay axe.
Sometimes change isn't good

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Imo wetterlings do not compare to GB. years ago i lost faith in wetterlings after having the heel break on two different axes and the fit and finish on the ones i'v seen today are rough next to a gransfors
no issues with any of my GB axes to date, including professional use on two of them

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Aye, same family own both companies. Gabriel Brånby owns Wetterlings, and his two sons own Gransfors Bruks.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
They have improved since the same owner has both companies.
Probably removing any axe that is too similar to a gb branded axe

They still have a ways to go to catch up to GB if what i see at the shows every year is anything to go by, not worth the same price as GB in imo

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I have several GB axes of different types, all good of course, and a Wetterlings Bushman axe that I chose in preference to a GB SFA a couple of years ago.

The Bushman is a lovely bit of kit, broader and more wedge shaped than a SFA so a surprisingly good small splitter, deep beard and shortened poll so you can choke up well on it for some surprisingly fine work, and a few inches longer and slightly straighter handle that gives it a useful amount of extra power. It's not an alternative to a larger Scandinavian model but is a very capable and pleasing to use alternative at the level just below that.

Just another option, can't have too many :)

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
They have improved since the same owner has both companies.
Probably removing any axe that is too similar to a gb branded axe
I picked one of these up at the Bushcraft Show from the Bushcraft Store stand....the finish is impeccable and, as others have said, the quality under the current owner is easily as good as GB IMHO...

waves

Mar 27, 2015
West Sussex, England
What a nice better half you have :) I'm guessing that was the GB one, hope it serves you well.

I have a Wetterlings Scandinavian forest axe and also their hunters hatchet, no issues with the quality at all. The grain on the handles is straight as are the grinds, the unground forging of the head is left as is and the handle is untreated, this is where I assumed the price difference was compared to the GB (apart from the, oh wow that's what Ray uses factor :)). I would think your assumption of the design being to close to that of the GB is probably correct. Shame really...

For the tools that they are both have performed impeccably well for me as I'm sure yours will for you, enjoy :)

For anyone still looking, there is a few available here - As far as I can tell the Swedish forest axe is the same as the Scandinavian forest axe?

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+woodwo...ng-axes-swedish-forest-axe-wetterlings+gd1406

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE