Weever fish and the even cautiouser Tengu

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Well, I had my swim, the water was fine, not cold at all.

I haw a little fish, elongated flat body.

And I didnt have time to think; just beat a hasty retreat.

Enquiries told me that there is weevers next door, but none on this beach, thank you.

Ill wear beach shoes next time.

Perhaps it was just a dab!

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
If you saw it ,it probably wasn't a weever.They hide under the sand with just a spike sticking up.If you do get a weever sting the best way to deal with it is to place your foot in hot water ,the hotter the better as this degrades the venom.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Probably a Blenny or a Goby.

Like sapper said, you won't see a Weever and they only live in sand not near rocks.
The sting isn't that bad, a bit worse than a wasp.

You're best off shuffling your feet rather than stepping if you want to minimise the risk.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
The sting isn't that bad, a bit worse than a wasp.
That wasn't Robin's experience. He stood on one when surfing in North Wales a year or so back. His foot swelled up rapidly and alarmingly and he was in a lot of pain. Thankfully friends who knew what they were doing were there with their camper van. They heated up a pan of water until it was as hot as he could cope with then soaked his foot in it. The relief was surprisingly rapid. Since then he's brought proper surfing wet suit boots and always wears them!

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I'll agree with doctor spoon,they are bloody painful nothing like a wasp sting at all

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE