Weekend adventures

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 28, 2010
ontario
Part 1
The topo map of our area shows dozens of small lakes with no roads or portage trails leading to them. Our curiosity made us decide to do an exploration weekend so we loaded up the truck and drove to the end of one of the bush roads to a boat launch. From there we paddled an
hour or more through two lakes to a site where we set up a base camp. From here we could do day trips and since there was no portaging
involved in getting here we could a) bring the cedar strip canoe (a joy to paddle, less than a joy to carry), and b)bring a cooler with fresh foods,
beer, etc., rather than living on dehydrated stuff and gorp.

rs11b002.jpg

rs11001.jpg

We spent the first day getting settled in at camp, then the next morning we set off paddling down a nearby creek which leads into the next lake.
We never got to that lake, though, thanks to me not bothering to look at the map and taking us on a wrong fork in the creek. We paddled up a winding tributary that got increasingly narrow and shallow. After lifting over half a dozen beaver dams, seeing lots of waterfowl, eagles, etc.,
along the way, we finally came to a dead end.

rs039.jpg

rs026.jpg

rs016.jpg
rs021.jpg

The source of this creek seemed to be an enigma; underground water pouring out from every which direction. The result was a series of swirling
pools under the tree canopy- a truly beautiful spot. We scouted the area and found some moose sign which is pretty exciting for us because we are near the southern end of the mooses range and a sighting is a fairly rare thing. We also came across plenty of fresh bear sign which left us
wondering if our cooler would be in one piece when we got back to camp. We might be left eating whatever happened to be in the barrel while
the bears get drunk on our beer!
Luckily we had no unwanted visitors and we got to enjoy one of Sharon's spicy jambalaya inventions..

rs11b010.jpg

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
The next day was a bushwhacking day. We had our sights set on a couple of nearby lakes, so with map and compass in hand we set out to
find Pothole Lake, which was as much of a vertical hike as it was horizontal. Just as the name suggested, it wasn't much more than a pothole;
a swampy shoreline with weeds and waterfowl landing and taking off here and there. A scenic enough little spot but not the magic swimming hole we were hoping for. Sharon found this microscopic little fellow along the shore..

rs11014.jpg

rs11012.jpg

So it was off to the next lake, another climb through the bush about a mile from our camp. Here is where a GPS would be handy; the bush
was so dense you could hardly see fifty yards in any direction let alone get a bearing and hope to walk in a straight line. After a fair bit of effort,
skirting around a swamp and climbing through a valley, we found Crag Lake. Not the most poetic name for such a perfect little lake. We had
finally found our hidden swimming hole; deep clear water you could jump right into from the rocky shore. So we stripped off our clothes and
did just that, swimming out to an island to get a better view of the whole lake. This one will definitely get marked with a star on the topo map.

rs11026.jpg

rs11017.jpg

After having a snack on the shore, we headed back to base camp to have a beer and crash in the hammocks for a well-earned rest.
On the last day the heat wave continued and we just stayed around camp and swam and relaxed before heading back to the truck.
The only cool temperatures of the day were around 5am when we sat on the big rock at the water and had our coffee.
So the cedar strip gets left home next weekend; we'll be loading up the kevlar canoe for a portage-intensive trip in central Algonquin...

rs11b040.jpg
rs11b016.jpg

rs11b014.jpg

rs11b004.jpg

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Excellent pics, very, very nice. I too especially like the secluded spot with the swirling pools. Looks like you had a great time, thanks!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The only continent that I have visitted and not got the hull of a boat wet in is America!
I realy want to get a good canoe trip in on the lakes and rivers of Canada before my body reaches its "use-by" date (well past its "best before" date already) - and those pictures reinforce that desire!
Looks a cracking spot!

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Fantastic, thanks for sharing!

Did you hang your food into a tree after you discovered the bear tracks?

ATB
Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
Fantastic, thanks for sharing!

Did you hang your food into a tree after you discovered the bear tracks?

ATB
Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the big lake where our base camp was there were some other people camped nearby and making noise,
so we took our chances and just left the grub out by a tree....it's honestly a real bother hanging stuff.

Thanks for everyone's kind comments, we'll hopefully get some Algonquin Park photos up next week.:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE