Wee Trek Through The Galloway Forest (Pic Heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
This weekend Jason and I went a venture into the Galloway Forest. We started on Friday and got a lift to Sinchar Falls then walked from there to Tunskeen Bothy and spent the night there. Was a great night and 10 mins turned the s**thole in was when we walked in into a wee cosy home away from home, baffles me how busy people must be when they can't spend 5 mins running a brush along the floor.

On Saturday we got up early, packed up and set off for Loch Doon taking in some of the views along the way some of which are stunning. We stopped at the tea room at Loch Doon for a drink and some chocolate and the woman kindly filled out water bottles, didn't want Jason's Katadyn filter to get overused as he only has 50,000 litres to play with :lmao: alothough we used it on the Friday and it is an amazing bit of kit!

After our wee rest at the tea room we walked down to our usual bit at the castle but there was people already camping there so we walked along and found beautiful spot and it was nice and sheltered so that was a bonus and we bumped into Steven the Forrest Ranger and he suggested we walk through Ness Glen rather than sticking to the road- great idea!

Got the ponchos set up and the bivis and were in bed gabbing away til about midnight then we didn't surface til about 11am!! Cracking nights sleep :)

Sunday just consisted of a wee walk to Dalmelington through the beautiful Ness Glen and then we got the bus from there into Ayr and went our seperate ways.

Was a great weekend and want to say thanks to Jason for coming down and he also donated a lightweight sleeping bag into my new lightweight collection so thanks again for that mate and also for convincing me to chuck half my gear to be lighter, that saved a lot of work! :D. Will definately be doing it again although the 22ish mile has taken it's toll on my baby skin feet so will be having a wee rest for a while...

Pics;

DSC00537.jpg

DSC00538.jpg

DSC00539.jpg

DSC00540.jpg

DSC00541.jpg

The bothy, someones put up a Chinese delivery calender, something tells me they won't deliver to there!!

DSC00542.jpg

View in the morning

DSC00543.jpg

The way a bothy should be left!!

DSC00544.jpg

DSC00547.jpg

View from the footpath

DSC00548.jpg

Can't remember the name of this rock but it's awesome :D

DSC00549_stitch.jpg

Looking over Loch Riecawr

DSC00555.jpg

Stopped for a brew, honey on tour!

DSC00558.jpg

Saturday nights spot

DSC00559.jpg

An adder, unfortunately it was dead :(

DSC00561.jpg

Random for on the outskirts of Dalmelington, maybe someone local could fill us in on what it's for?

DSC00562.jpg

Looking over Dalmelington.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Nice one Scotty, looks like you boys had a good time, pity i couldnt make it this weekend, i had planned to take the wee man out on his first canoe trip, but he was a bit off on the saturday morning so i had to postpone it. Give me a shout on your next walk and i will try to make that one, nice pics mate and glad to see youve finally seen the light and become a fully fledged ground dweller, none of that tent crap for me (unless its my 4000 square foot 5 star baker tent/mosh pit)

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Looks like you had a great trip. SW Scotland has to be the ( thankfully ) undiscovered gem of the UK. I've been paddling there a few times, and walked over The Merrick in perfect winter conditions and I only saw fraction of the people that I'd have seen in the Lakes.

Cheers, Michael.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Great pics. Pity about that adder, by the path like that, it looks like it was killed by some cretinous human. Adult female too, no doubt carrying the future of its species. I would have liked to have examined it and got samples. I should put a thread up about that.

The rest of the trip looked fun. Whats the story about the rocks?

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
Nice one Scotty, looks like you boys had a good time, pity i couldnt make it this weekend, i had planned to take the wee man out on his first canoe trip, but he was a bit off on the saturday morning so i had to postpone it. Give me a shout on your next walk and i will try to make that one, nice pics mate and glad to see youve finally seen the light and become a fully fledged ground dweller, none of that tent crap for me (unless its my 4000 square foot 5 star baker tent/mosh pit)

Haha I'm not quite a ground dweller yet but can see me sliding down the lightweight kit / lighteight wallet route fairly soon. We'll need to get away soon but that's a shame about the wee man but you've got another 10 years before you become uncool to him and his pals :lmao:

Will need to come up your way once my feet recover and play in your domain.

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
Great pics. Pity about that adder, by the path like that, it looks like it was killed by some cretinous human. Adult female too, no doubt carrying the future of its species. I would have liked to have examined it and got samples. I should put a thread up about that.

The rest of the trip looked fun. Whats the story about the rocks?

It didn't appear to have any obvious injuries but was on a road and there was a cycle race on so it may have been in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I'm not sure about the rocks, AFAIK thev've been there since the glaciers, they're on an OS map but just one of mother natures wee miracles as they're basically balancing. I'v a funny feeling they're called the leaning rocks or somehing along those lines.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Haha I'm not quite a ground dweller yet but can see me sliding down the lightweight kit / lighteight wallet route fairly soon. We'll need to get away soon but that's a shame about the wee man but you've got another 10 years before you become uncool to him and his pals :lmao:

Will need to come up your way once my feet recover and play in your domain.

Yeah, that would be cool Scotty, i hope you havent got that ultralight bug mate, you may as well throw away all the money you will ever earn, but i must admit its so much more enjoyable to walk with an ultralight kit. Once your feet have been kissed by the angels and soft as a babies bum we can certainly do a few good treks you will enjoy.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I was thinking it could have been a bike accident just after I posted. Most people who kill them on paths then flick them far away with the stick they killed them with. Damned shame though, they will be registered as critically endangered soon.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
It didn't appear to have any obvious injuries but was on a road and there was a cycle race on so it may have been in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I'm not sure about the rocks, AFAIK thev've been there since the glaciers, they're on an OS map but just one of mother natures wee miracles as they're basically balancing. I'v a funny feeling they're called the leaning rocks or somehing along those lines.

Do the locals not call the rocks BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN or something like that Scott. :lmao:

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
That stove seems to be the design that The MBA use for their bothies, I quite like it.
The one at Mosedale cottage is the same.

Yeah, well done boys for sorting the bothy out like that, im sure the next lads in there will appreciate it and maybe learn how it should be done and pass it on to someone else as well

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Just some more pics of the weekend , and a wee thanks to Scott for picking me up and arranging the weekend ! goodjob

gallowaywalk2011june001.jpg

Yes you are seeing right it is a parking meter !!!! and its in the middle of nowhere !
gallowaywalk2011june016.jpg

gallowaywalk2011june011.jpg

gallowaywalk2011june015.jpg

gallowaywalk2011june010.jpg

gallowaywalk2011june014.jpg

gallowaywalk2011june020.jpg

gallowaywalk2011june022.jpg

gallowaywalk2011june024.jpg

gallowaywalk2011june026.jpg

gallowaywalk2011june025.jpg

Top weekend Scott cant wait for the next one

Cheers

Jason

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
Yeah, well done boys for sorting the bothy out like that, im sure the next lads in there will appreciate it and maybe learn how it should be done and pass it on to someone else as well

Hopefully mate, would be nice to walk in and get that every time but it's never happened to me!

All three of the Galloway bothies have that stove but it works really well and doesn't use much fuel, great design.

Loving the pics jason, hope you paid and displayed!!!

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Cracking pics gents.

sorry I couldn't make it.

not all the pics are showing for me at the mo', so don't know what the one is you were asking about.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE