Waxing Ventile

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Hey - not so much with the "fashion" on the Belstaff. Us oldie bikers wore the stuff because it was the only way to keep dry in the UK! And was one of the main reasons pubs wouldn't let us in, because they didn't want wax smears all over their posh (!) seating.........

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
How fire/spark resistant would Waxed Ventile be?
As I recall the MOD banned waxed cotton for use in NI due to the fire risk ... as British Red intimated it could be curtains if an acidental nudge dropped you in the campfire!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
There is cotton and cotton, different waxes, different weaves/tensions. Candles are a form of waxed cotton too....
An Jack Russel is a dog - not all dogs are Jack Russels!
I was after an answer here myself :) Anyone know the answer?

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Cant see it being a issue,regarding the wax soaking in,when i waxed a old dutch 70's heavyweight army jacket, i used barbour thornproof dressing which i heated to a liquid first, it absorbed very well into the coat material no probs at all.Though i wouldnt wax a ventile coat.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I use my waxed jacket around fires all the time John. I've never even had a spark mark on it. That said, I don't 'work' at the fire wearing it, too blooming warm, I just slip it on when I sit down. Totally windproof :D Nae draughts :rolleyes: and with wool underneath and around my neck and head, nice and snug too :D Tempted sometimes to make over trousers from the stuff too.

cheers,
M

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I use my waxed jacket around fires all the time John. I've never even had a spark mark on it. That said, I don't 'work' at the fire wearing it, too blooming warm, I just slip it on when I sit down. Totally windproof :D Nae draughts :rolleyes: and with wool underneath and around my neck and head, nice and snug too :D Tempted sometimes to make over trousers from the stuff too.

cheers,
M
Perhaps the MOD were just worried about petrol bombs not campfires:)
I have been thinking of getting a wax jacket for myself - but not as a replacement for the Ventile I love :)

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
There is cotton and cotton, different waxes, different weaves/tensions. Candles are a form of waxed cotton too....
An Jack Russel is a dog - not all dogs are Jack Russels!
I was after an answer here myself :) Anyone know the answer?

The wax dressings used are made from a parrafin wax & mineral oil both of which arn't flammmable. In a candle, it's the wick that burns not the wax (which even slows down the burning).

Thanks folk for explaining the difference between tin cloth & oilskin but after a bit of googling it seems that tin cloth is just 12.5 oz tightly woven waxed cotton & since the oilskin Aussie drover coats (mine included) are made from 12 oz tightly woven waxed cotton I still can't see the difference ..........I suspect it's in the terminology & history rather than current fabric construction.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think you're right; I tried to find out about tincloth years ago, but at the end of the day I reckoned it was just waxed fabric of some variation in weight, etc.,

We know that the cheaper knockoff copies here really, really, really, smell of mouldy paraffin, while the better quality ones smell of paraffin and wax. The wax lasts longer I reckon, and according to Stuart f who used to work restoring/repairing Barbours it's waxy stuff and and iron and hairdrer type thing that does the business :D

I reckon if you do your own, some of the resin dissolved in oil that I mentioned a few weeks back would add a little robustness to it, and that's one of the components of Greenland wax as well as the original oilcloths for clothing and maps.

cheers,
M

p.s. Mr Fenna, if I can find it in the coup that is my workroom, somewhere I have three metres of tan coloured wax fabric, and you're very welcome to it in barter for a couple of wee leather bags to hold my tinder bundles :D I can probably find suitable thread too, and a long brass zip.
M

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Noddy, yep it worked fine and i use it alot mainly in winter though,as its a double layered coat and heavy duty to start with with the wax added its seriously a heavy coat.(think it helped that it is quite a tight weve heavy weight cotton fabric,that the wax took so well)there's a old pic of it on a old thread on here somewhere,cant post up pics anymore though.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Ip.s. Mr Fenna, if I can find it in the coup that is my workroom, somewhere I have three metres of tan coloured wax fabric, and you're very welcome to it in barter for a couple of wee leather bags to hold my tinder bundles :D I can probably find suitable thread too, and a long brass zip.
M
Yes please!
PM me your addy and I will get some off to you!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE