Waterproofing treatments for natural cordage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Morning All
I have it in my head to make some nettle fishing line
However i also think that natural cordage might be more prone to damage from moisture so i was wondering if anyone had dabbled with this and what preventative you used?
Beeswax and birch oil spring to mind but im wondering if the birch oil may leave its special aroma and taint the line?

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
I wonder if it's realistically usable long term or even long enough to make the effort of making it worth while....when you consider that line was traditionally made from gut or horse hair, which obviously is not as readily available as, for instance Nettles I would think if the Nettles had been 'suitable' then the other would not have been favoured....be interesting to see how well it works though.

D.B.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Anything I can think of would probably have an adverse affect on its use as fishing line.

Even before monofilament rotted line was just a fact of life for fishermen.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you're using plant fibres you're probably better off making willow bast twine. It's the oldest known twine in Europe. There's still a ball of it attached to a sunken neolithic log boat off the Danish coast…and it's still unmistakeably willow bast cordage I'm told.

Nettle makes beautiful cordage if finely prepared, but the stuff in between the fine white fibres does rett and it flakes and crumbles off with use. It means that the twist slackens. Some folks boil it up in willow bark to help 'tan' it. Others wax it, or oil it, but if you're going to use it wet I wouldn't put something on it that will stop it drying, iimmc ? It rots with a grey mould if left damp too long.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE