Waterproofing Reindeer Skin (Skin side) HELP !

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WoodMonkey

Jun 1, 2006
Berkshire
Just bought a superb Reindeer Skin from Barney :D Thanks again Barney
The skin side is very soft and nearley pure white, Would it be possible to waterproof this side to protect it, if laid on the ground ?
I hear some skins have a silicone coating underneath, can this be bought as a spary on type product.
Any guidance would be a great help please. Thank you... Fingers crossed :rolleyes: :thanks:

climberslacker

Forager
Jan 14, 2008
USA
I am no expert on leather at all, but I have heard that smoking leather does something to make it water proof? Is that right?

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
One of my friends old man spends a fair anount of time in Norway and he ays they put it in a cold washing machine on gentle setting and put lots of fabric softener in.

You can also add oil such as linseed or lanolin oil - takes a bit of cleaning the machine after though.

WoodMonkey

Jun 1, 2006
Berkshire
Thanks guy's.
I was hoping there would be a commercial spray or something I could paint on to give the sealing effect. :rolleyes:
I have a piece of Reindeer seat bought from Nordic Outdoor, that has the siliconised backing, gives it a light see through coating. Can anyone advise what that is and where it's avaiable. Thank you...Woodmonkey

Spaniel man

Native
Apr 28, 2007
Somerset
I've got one of those reindeer hides from Barney too. I was planning on stitching a layer of material to the skin side, just loosely so it protects it, and so its easy to change every now and again. I did the same to a couple of sheep skins and it worked really well.

moko

Forager
Apr 28, 2005
out there
Ive done a little leather work and my experience is that you cant really make it water proof unless you bake it (think formed leather used for making water bottles)
I understand what you are trying to do but keeping the leather flexable and totally water proof at the same time is near imposible. Leather boots are only water proof if you constantly apply dubbing and/or polish but I dont think this ideal for your purposes.
You could back the hide with a water resistance material or combine your sleeping arrangement with a ground sheet. Native Americans would create a buffer between there hide blancket and ground using grasses and other natural materials. In the far north multiple layers of skins were used so that the body heat would not melt the ice below the sleeper.

moko

Forager
Apr 28, 2005
out there
Found a product on the web called 'Hippo Tonic'! not used it myself but it might work. Seems like the horsey crowd use it. Be interested to know if it works though.

WoodMonkey

Jun 1, 2006
Berkshire
:)
I've got one of those reindeer hides from Barney too. I was planning on stitching a layer of material to the skin side, just loosely so it protects it, and so its easy to change every now and again. I did the same to a couple of sheep skins and it worked really well.

Excellent idea Spaniel Man, I will try and do the same, Why didnt I think of that :(

WoodMonkey

Jun 1, 2006
Berkshire
Ive done a little leather work and my experience is that you cant really make it water proof unless you bake it (think formed leather used for making water bottles)
I understand what you are trying to do but keeping the leather flexable and totally water proof at the same time is near imposible. Leather boots are only water proof if you constantly apply dubbing and/or polish but I dont think this ideal for your purposes.
You could back the hide with a water resistance material or combine your sleeping arrangement with a ground sheet. Native Americans would create a buffer between there hide blancket and ground using grasses and other natural materials. In the far north multiple layers of skins were used so that the body heat would not melt the ice below the sleeper.

Nice one Moko, Thank you...I thinks thats best, I will probally get a sheet of light tarp material from HM Supplies and lightly sow that in, Will also look up the 'Hippo Tonic' :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE