Waterproof jacket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushpig

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2005
www.spiritgarden.co.uk
Hey all, on the market for a decent jacket and trousers ( waterproof ) am also off to rainnforest territory soon so something that performs well i those conditions needed although majority of my time spent on dartmoor not mexico lol! I have seen this:

http://www.survivalschool.co.uk/acatalog/Ventile_Jacket.html

http://www.ventile.co.uk/

Was wondering if anyone has one and know how well they perform? What about in comparison to gortex? Are there any other suggestions out there?

Thanks in advance

Boooshpig

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
If you can afford ventile buy it. The reason it works is the cotton fibres the jacket is composed from swell up when they become wet effectivly sealing the jacket from more rain but because it is cotton it allows a good degree of breathability. I always had gore-tex in the past but got a ventile for my 21st it is a fantastic improvement IMO, also the advantages of ventile are quietness (it dosent russel like GTX), they dont need re-proofing to remain waterproof and they are spark proof which is good if your spending time round campfires.
Check out the stories page,
''In 1953, Mt. Everest was conquered by Edmund Hillary and Sherpa Tenzing. The climbers wore garments made from a version of Ventile® as part of their expedition clothing.''
"I was an RAF pilot in World War II and was twice ditched into the Channel and owe my survival to Ventile®. It helped protect me until I was rescued." Said by a visitor to the Country Innovations garments exhibition stand.

I dont sell ventile or anything just a very happy customer :D

Bushpig

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2005
www.spiritgarden.co.uk
Hi copperhead

Well you sound pleased with yours, I am highly tempted and in the market for one, it's this or a gortex jacket of some sort. I like the aspect of quietness and no russles but am still needing persuasion on its ability in a downpour. Could you tell me if this jacket/material gets heavy when it absorbs some of the water?

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
yes ventile becomes stiff (altho its no noticible when you wear it, its just free standing when you take it off :)) this is caused by the action of the fibres expanding. I wore my ventile when I did the three peaks in the yorkshire dales it siled it down all day long, coupled with near gale force winds. It performed admirably and I was at no time wet, I was on the hills for 11hours. The other advantage of ventile is it dosent need re-proofing like gtx, a ventile jacket will last (much) longer than a gtx one.
But with reference to your original question the ventile does become heavier when wet, but due to its water reppeling properties it does not become anywhere near as heavy as a normal cotton jacket, for example.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
mine is single layer ventile,

classicsmock_02.jpg

I got mine from www.snowsled.com,
No probs booosh :D

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Personally I would not bother with synthetic lined Ventile garments. For winter I prefer double Ventile, summer single.
As for rainforests, my experience is you (I) get so wet with sweat I may as well not bother with a waterproof and just get rain wet - SERIOUSLY!
In Thailand this summer, in the hottest most humid time of year in the forrest I gave up on waterproofs altogether. I walked wet and changed into dry kit at the end of the day, putting the wet kit back on in the morning to walk in again.
It works.
Clement44.jpg

Aaron237.jpg

Aly33.jpg

Soaking but happy!

Bushpig

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2005
www.spiritgarden.co.uk
Yes Jon, after posting that about rainforests I realised I would be getting wet either way so it makes little difference. Could you recommend any double layer ventile? Though if coppers is single layer and keeps him dry for 11 hours in a downpour then single seems to perform admirably anyway.

Booohspig

Boooshpig

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Well it wasnt raining constanly for 11 hours, but it was still very bad weather. But it dried/sweat evaporated very quickly when it did stop.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I currently use the Snugpak/WestWinds Parka double layer Ventile jacket in Winter.
It is a very solid and warm, if quite heavy, piece of kit.

Bushpig

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2005
www.spiritgarden.co.uk
Hi Jon, can I ask what dual layer ventile you have ? Although I see double advertised as better perforance, it seems Copper has a single that performs admirably. This is the first time I've been able to afford a decentwaterproof jacket so am eager to make a good choice! .....Decisions decisions

Bushpig

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2005
www.spiritgarden.co.uk
I was about to buy the ventile jack I linnked to in original post when I came across this:

http://www.raymears.com/shop_item_desc.cfm?id=534&itemType=Clothing&desc=Swazi_Ray_Mears_Tahr_Anorak

Looks just the ticket, being gortex but also quiet/russle free. Does anyone have one or are able to comment on it ? Will it survive a fight with a thorny bush ? Gortext is not the be - all and end all for me, I have been informed the ventrile will perform admirably and the main thumbs up for me is that I will not rip it first time out! However thie swazi tahr anorak looks like it maybe tough also, seems to combine several of the features I need at least

Booosh

Bushpig

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2005
www.spiritgarden.co.uk
Hi folks, well 2 days ago my RM version Swazi Tahr anorak arrived (after finally making a decision). I am currently chuffed to bits with it, but have yet to get out in some wet weather. It feels great, I was concerned that because it was a pull over and not with a full zip that It may be tricky to get on and off ( I have had this problems with my montane cerro smock ) but there is a great freedom of movement with it. The hood is awesome! Ittakes a bit of getting used to know hand pockets but It gets me out of the bad habit of walking with my hands in my pockets anyway! Woodlore delivery was great, was with me in 2 days. The colour is not as the image looks on the website, it is better. On the website it looks very desert/beige colour but it is a light olive green ( official colour name is 'tussock') and the soft outer layer is indeed russle free and quiet. I will post back a few times as I get out in it more and let you all know how it goes. I got some great advice on this forum and would hope a up to date report on its performance will help somebody out in the future.

Boooshpig

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE