Waterproof Gloves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chilliphil

Forager
Nov 16, 2013
Hampshire
Hi, can anyone recommend me some waterproof gloves. Normally when it's cold but dry I wear fingerless gloves,but with all the wet weather we've been having these are proving useless so I'm choosing to go gloveless which isn't good as my hands suffer in the cold and are even worse when wet.

I'm looking for something that will keep my hands dry and warm, be quick to dry off afterwards and be thin enough for me to still be able to do stuff whilst wearing them. I have some thick ski gloves for when it is really cold already.

Any suggestions? And no, I'm not looking for marigolds!! Thanks.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I got some Sealskinz gloves for Christmas - they're Merino lined and have grippy rubber bits on the palms/fingers

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
They seem to be waterproof - was clearing out gutters wearing them and although the outside gets wet, my hands stayed dry

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I don't know. I just left them on a radiator overnight. They were a replacement for some excellent Outdoor Designs kayaking gloves, one of which went missing (the OD ones were superior, IMHO). They're windproof gloves, not sure if they're completely waterproof but I bought them for shooting

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I've got some all season sealskins, the ones with the goatskin palms, they're great gloves, certainly waterproof, best I've had by a mile! :)

Good luck in your search, hope this helps :).

Chilliphil

Forager
Nov 16, 2013
Hampshire
Thanks for everyones help so far - love this forum!!

Some of the negative reviews online have been that the outside absorbs water which then either freezes in very cold weather or takes a long time to dry afterwards. Does anyone have experience of this? Don't think the freezing will be an issue for me as if it's that cold I would probably be wearing my thicker gloves.

Coldfeet, thanks for the offer, how do they size up? XL might be a bit large for me.

Chilliphil

Forager
Nov 16, 2013
Hampshire
Coldfeet, I think they would be too big for me also.

Mountainm, they look good, and a good price too. Are they thin enough to still work wearing them? And being leather I'm guessing there is no problem with getting them dry afterwards?

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Coldfeet, I think they would be too big for me also.

Mountainm, they look good, and a good price too. Are they thin enough to still work wearing them? And being leather I'm guessing there is no problem with getting them dry afterwards?

They dry fine - you couldn't do fine work, like tying knots and things. But they're nowhere near as bulky as ski gloves.

Chilliphil

Forager
Nov 16, 2013
Hampshire
Great, thanks. How does the sizing come up on these?

Althought the sealskinz look great, not sure I can justify the price at the moment...

Chilliphil

Forager
Nov 16, 2013
Hampshire
Crikey their postage is high!! £6.50 for a pair of £8.99 gloves!! Problem is I can't seem to find the authentic item anywhere else, just the (not so) cheap copies...

Eagleman

Apr 5, 2011
Aberdeenshire
+1 for seal skins. Mine are the same as coldfeet but in large. I have had them for over a year and there is a slight leak point now in one of the creases - I probably punctured it rather than it being a flaw. They do take a while to dry but I only have them on if I am going to be handling wet things in the cold and then they go back into the pocket. I also have the socks that I used in my leaky waders for a while and they were great - long time drying after washing as you have to dry them out inside and out but totally waterproof.

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
i have a pair of the sealskins are they are pretty good for keeping your hands dry but they arent the warmest. as for working with them on - guess it depends on what sort of work you have in mind. i wouldnt think they would be too hard wearing if you were labouring and they are probably too thick for any fine work

what about these? the fingers fold back for fine work. a friend had a set and rated them.

http://www.outdoorandcountry.co.uk/Barbour-Neoprene-Gloves.html

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE