Waterproof Coat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
Hey guys,

Right, well after a particularly sodden weekend up at Ribblehead, I decided it was probably best to invest a small bit of money in a waterproof, preferably insulated coat/jacket/smock. Regatta seem to have about a billion deals on at GoOutdoors, and its a little overwhelming to sort of the bad from the good. So, any suggestions? Anything I should be looking for in a good, durable coat/jacket/smock? Any fabrics you'd recommend? Any help would be appreciated guys. There was this that I thought looked rather nice, right at the edge of my price range, but looks like it means business. Thoughts?

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/fladen-khaki-wading-jacket-p261813

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Get a ridgeline monsoon, they can run a bit warm, but i would'nt be with out mine, its seen daily use all winter, they are brilliant.

Rob

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
Well, £50 seems around my top end. As awesome as the Monsoon looks and probably is, it's fair too expensive for me at £100+. I'm really wanting Ventile really and in smock form, after seeing your's, Copperhead. But that certainly isnt cheap!

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
For £50 I'd get something army surplus... You'll get better build quality and it'll be as breathable as anything you get for that price range. Theres some good ones on militarymart, german army goretex parka and the dutch version both look pretty good.
http://www.militarymart.co.uk/index.php?_a=category&cat_id=47

The highlander Tempest jackets are ok too, I've had one for years not that breathable but if your not hiking up hills or whatever they're good for the cash...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tempest-Waterproof-Windproof-Breathable-Lightweight-Shooting-Beating-Jacket-/120824830810?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Sports_Clothing_LE&var=&hash=item1c21b89b5a

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
I really like the look of that surplus stuff, although the whole camo thing puts me off. As you said, gives off the wrong message. What did you think of the jacket I posted above?

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
The jack pyke hunter jacket is quite a good coat. Waterproof and fairly warm. Can be had for about £50. Silent too.

Mines been relegated to a smoking jacket since I got my ridgeline monsoon.

touched by nature

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Missed that first link sorry. Yeah looks pretty good for the money, I only know fladen as a tackle supplier there the budget end of stuff but thats not necessarily a negative... Certainly looks nice!

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Matt, don't buy a wading jacket... They are very high waisted (to keep it outta the water) Even higher than a standard bomber jacket, great for fishermen but no use for in the woods... Go with one of the other suggestions offered

Ben98

Forager
Jun 30, 2010
West Yorkshire
Jack Pyke, any of there coats are good, all made of similar stuff. All dead good
Love my hunter jacket :)
Atb
Ben

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk 2

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
The one in your link isn't breathable from the looks of it, you'll be sweating unless stationary all the time.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
In my experience I find lightweight waterproof jackets without any padding/warmth to be far better for any activity than those with a warm lining.
The layers underneath keep me warm and the waterproof jacket keeps me dry. If I wear a thick waterproof I overheat and sweat too much.
THE best one I've owned so far is the MTP gore tex issue jacket (the link is to one like it on Ebay) that a mate gave me when he retired.
Its not got the usual pockets and only has pockets on the sleeves, its not even got a hood either (squaddies wear helmets and I wear a hat) but I'm not bothered. Its very lightweight, takes hardly any space up and keeps me dry.
Oh and its got armpit zips to aid ventilation.
Seems that UK army issue is starting to pick up cos for years it was junk, now there's a few items I wear often.

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
Thanks for the reply guys. This is being really helpful. About the wading jacket Dave, I did think it was short in the shop. Now I know why!

Gasparo

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2013
Cardiff
+1 for the Jack Pyke Hunter (English Oak version)
I like the trousers as well, can get the jacket for £40 in my local fishing/hunting shop but a Google just then was showing me £60+ so I'd try eBay.
If you're willing to pay a little more for better quality and more years of use, get a Barbour.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
For around £50 from Go Outdoors I got myself a single layer Marmot Precip, it's had a fair amount of rain to test it on since and has not let me down the way that cheap Regatta and Gelert has in the past.

garethw

Settler
I've got a Jack Pyke Hunter and while it is a failrly priced coat, I'd not get another. The quality is just too shoddy.

On the plus side to start with: it is waterproof and rustleprood (if you need that). It is relatively warm for a thin coat and well set out.

BUT: soon after I had it the lining frayed away round the bottom of the hem. I sewed it up. The the inside pocket and subsequently the handwarmer pockets split. More sewing. Lastly the outside hemming part of the handwarmer pockets came undone too... on both pockets

It is absolutely NOT breathable... walk more than a few hundred yards and you'll be soaked to the skin under it.
I suppose after reading reviwes I was expecting too much, but I know my next jacket will probably be one of the military ECWCS in olive green. They are around the same price.

Cheers
Gareth

Found it a bit warm myself
But stripped down to wicking layer when I put it on
On the issues of quality
I've used and abused mine while off roading outdoors on building sites etc and is still ok
Almost as the work stuff I've had made by company called keela make
It's cotton based and therefore water proofed and reproofable
And stood years of abused but used to let water in where Bergen strap etc made bodily contact
But utterly indestructible
But for the price great all round jacket if a bit warm
At price it's replaceable
A 300 quid jacket will be better but will rip the same on trees fences
Land rover chassis
And if your like me and happy to patch ripped stuff with what I have to hand
Gripfill melts the ******
But DEET seems to rest on the surface of the outer fuzz of the material and last longer

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE