water water carrier to use

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
Hi All
I am looking for ideas on a new water carrier, I wont be carrying it to far from the car about a mile, so will have to do two runs, thing is i took about three ltrs this weekend and found i ran out, was drinking a fair bit after my salty food, but also found i needed a good bit of water for washing my pots.
I seen somewhere a big army (I think) canvas water bag, which would be ideal for a camp and my canoeing trips, but cant find one anywhere now, what do you guys use? I dont like those plastic types because they seem to taint the water taste, does anybody have any idears either on my water carrier or what i should do regarding how much i need to take and how best to get the use out of it, filtering is not an option this time.
Thanks
Bill

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
I've used an ortlieb water bag for a couple of years with no problems. They're a lot cheaper than msr but just as good. I've had both over the years and they match in performance when backpacking and for static camps.

All the best.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
I seen somewhere a big army (I think) canvas water bag, which would be ideal for a camp and my canoeing trips, but cant find one anywhere now
If you mean one of these:
canvas waterbag.JPG

They're not actually water tight. I think the idea is that the water leaks through the cloth slowly and cools the contents as it evaporates.
There's a label stitched onto it saying "This bag is to be soaked in water for 24 hours before use" - If you just fill it up it leaks quite a lot:
leakybag.JPG

IIRC it holds about 16 litres.

Sep 27, 2014
North East
I take 2 litres a day (and night).
I wouldn't want to take less than that, but I only use it for drinking and brews, not pot washing.
I've managed on this so far, even on hot days.
I'm no expert though. :s

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I use a msr dromedary, 6l I think it is just right for me over 2 days.

Agreed Dromedary's are brilliant if expensive. The RAF survival packs have a water bag that holds about four litres & has a roll top. Their ideal for camp but don't see to come up on the surplus market often unfortunately.

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
How much is enough water for food and cleaning pots say for a two night stay, taking into account brews and drinking water? I took 2 ltr and ran out

garethw

Settler
How much is enough water for food and cleaning pots say for a two night stay, taking into account brews and drinking water? I took 2 ltr and ran out

For cleaning pots I take a packet of kitchen wipes... even a large pack is way lighter than water and cleans pots up well.. they can either be burned if you have a fire or bagged up and put in a bin.
I also try to do as much boiled stuff as possible and limeit the amount of greasy food stuffs. If I have to fry I try to use a grill or BBQ. 2 litres should be enough this way...
cheers
Gareth

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
I use the skins from wine boxes, got to get the funny tasting red stuff out first ;) but after emptying and a thorough rinse out there is no taint to the water

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I go with 2 litres per day, this does me drinking, cooking and pot washing [I do tend to lick the bowl clean first though] so for 2 days 4 litres is good for me - if it looks like I'm not going to be able to re-fill then I can push 4 litres to 3 days but I get a bit thirsty toward the end. I don't like to carry more than 4 litres as it starts to get a bit heavy...

I use pop bottles, good rinse and I can't taste any of the previous content or plastic - although I suspect I haven't got the most sensitive of tastebuds.

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
For cleaning pots I take a packet of kitchen wipes... even a large pack is way lighter than water and cleans pots up well.. they can either be burned if you have a fire or bagged up and put in a bin.
I also try to do as much boiled stuff as possible and limeit the amount of greasy food stuffs. If I have to fry I try to use a grill or BBQ. 2 litres should be enough this way...
cheers
Gareth
Thanks Gareth thats really good information

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE